changing (non bylayer) colors of X-ref drawing

freebutterflyx

I allways use drawings of other people as Xref and I allways change every color of this Xref to grey so I can draw my own details on top of it in my own colors and use my own plot style table.

But often things (and parts of blocks) in the xref are not drawn in a bylayer color. So if I change the layer colors of my xref, the color of this object isn't changed.

Sometimes I change the colors in the original file (after exploding blocks). But this is nog very practical because I have to do it again when I receive an updated xref.

Is there a way I can change everything in a xref to a certain color (grey), no matter what color it is originaly (bylayer or not). Possible in modelspace or in a viewport.

I use acad 2009 but I have acces to acad 2016.

Try the command SETBYLAYER I have had to do the same as you & most of the time this works. When you start the command if you type S it will let you select what you want to change.

Try the command SETBYLAYER I have had to do the same as you & most of the time this works. When you start the command if you type S it will let you select what you want to change.

I tried it but it doesn't work like I would like to.

Currently I have a dwg I use as Xref.

In this xref are a lot of (large) blocks all on layer 0. If I explode these blocks, I see the elements of this blocks are on different layers and the colors are not bylayer.

The setbylayer command doesn't work apparently with an xref. I only works within the original drawing but I prefer not to change the original drawing.

The setbylayer command doesn't work apparently with an xref. I only works within the original drawing but I prefer not to change the original drawing.

Do not use the original. Use a copy of it. We've been doing it this way for a long time. SETBYLAYER was a real time saver for us.

I wrote this simple lisp to combat that prob as I get that a lot here

(defun C:CBL () (COMMAND "CHANGE" PAUSE "" "P" "C" "BYLAYER" "")

(PROMPT "nCOLOR CHANGED TO BYLAYER."))

after you appload this just type cbl

here is another lisp for changing linteypes to by layer

(defun C:LTBL () (COMMAND "CHANGE" PAUSE "" "P" "LT" "BYLAYER" "")

(PROMPT "nLINETYPE CHANGED TO BYLAYER."))

type ltbl