2d - 3d

jasons520

Complete noob AutoCAD user here,

I've been given 2- 2d drawings in AutoCAD and need to turn it into a 3d model,

one 2d model is of a top view of the design, and the other is a back view of the model. How would I go about using both of these 2D designs to create one 3d model, I can upload the file if need be.

Thanks Heaps!

Regards, Jason

I've been given 2- 2d drawings in AutoCAD and need to turn it into a 3d model,

one 2d model is of a top view of the design, and the other is a back view of the model. How would I go about using both of these 2D designs to create one 3d model, I can upload the file if need be.

Your profile says you're using Autocad LT. Is that true? If so, no 3D for you.

Welcome to CADTutor. :)

It would be helpful if you would update the software in your forum profile.

Please post the drawing, so that members can better assist you.

Create a copy of your drawing, and then strip it down a bit.

If there is proprietary information, that can be deleted, as what we will need to see is only the 2D entities.

Even guessing that most of those objects are cylindrical, it still really needs at a minimum one more view (front or back), to at least show that they are indeed all cylindrical, and give a better idea of how they relate to each other

Assuming we are looking at cylindrical tanks you could create closed polyline half profile then use the REVOLVE command. Another option would be to try and build the tanks piecemeal by use such commands as EXTRUDE or PRESSPULL.

Here is an example created using the first method I suggested.

attachment.php?attachmentid=54711&cid=1&stc=1

Sorry about the double images. It's been an ongoing problem of late.

It would be impossible to fully model everything in 3D since there is information missing that could only be obtained via another view or even two.

3D Cylindrical tank 1.JPG

Edited by ReMark

A couple more pieces of your equipment in 3D.

3D Cylindrical tank 2.jpg

Seems like I temporarily solved my double image problem. Too bad I wasn't keeping notes on what I did! LoL

Thanks everyone, I ended up using the revolve command to get the best model i could do with the information provided. Yes, another view was needed.

ReMark, your images look the same as my finished product, and that certainly was what i was looking for.

Thanks everyone,

Regards,