Having trouble making dotted and dashed lines for electric lighting. Please help.

moredew780

I attached the plan I am having trouble with. It is named first_plan.dwg.

I created some lines with the arc tool and joined them to represent the electrical wiring in the layer called electrical wiring. I changed the linetype to a dotted and dashed style but it won't display in the model space and layout 1. Nor will it display when I hit print preview. Can someone point out to me what I am doing wrong? I am new to AutoCAD and this is my first plan.

I am using AutoCAD 2015 for Mac.

first_plan.dwg

Perhaps it is your linetype scale that needs adjusting. What is the setting for both the model space and paper space linetype scales?

It could be that your polyline segments are too short to display the linetype properly.

It could be that you used an metric linetype in a drawing that used an imperial drawing template (the default by the way). Did you use acad.dwt or acadiso.dwt? The latter is the one that should be used for a metric drawing.

Please do not double post as it only causes confusion. Thank you.

Hi

You're drawing is in Imperial units but the linetype selected (ACAD_ ISO10W100) is meant for metric units AFAIK. Try adjusting your LTSCALE to say 0.01 to see the pattern. Also, when using non-continuous line types with polylines it's a good idea to enable the Linetype Generation feature.

Perhaps it is your linetype scale that needs adjusting. What is the setting for both the model space and paper space linetype scales?

It could be that your polyline segments are too short to display the linetype properly.

It could be that you used an metric linetype in a drawing that used an imperial drawing template (the default by the way). Did you use acad.dwt or acadiso.dwt? The latter is the one that should be used for a metric drawing.

Please do not double post as it only causes confusion. Thank you.

Sorry about the double post. I made a mistake attaching the wrong plan so I created another post.

Thank you. This solved my problem. However, what is the Linetype Generation feature. I am interested in knowing for the future.

When a non-continuous linetype is specified on a polyline the default is for the pattern to be generated from the first vertex to the next and then repeated along the next segment, depending on the spacing of the vertices and the length of the line pattern this sometimes causes the breaks in the pattern not to show ie it still looks like a continuous line. With the Linetype Generation property active the line pattern is distributed over the entire polyline length.

When in layout typed PSLTSCALE then pressed return and then changed the figure from 1 to 0 then regen cured it for me

Stay away from ISO metric linetypes, consider seting plinegen to 1 and draw everything bylayer. Simply changing linetype to DASHDOT2 and enabling Linetype generation solves the problem.

Dots do not plot well. For linetypes I would recommend either using the CIRC1 shape from ltypeshp.shx or a Unicode character an in examples below.

*DASHcir2,Dash cir (.5x) __ . __ . __ . __ . __ . __ . __ . __
A,.25,-.125,[CIRC1,ltypeshp.shx,s=.001],-.125
*LineDot,Line Dot --•----•---
A,.25,-.125,["\U+2022",STANDARD,S=.01,R=0,X=-.0,Y=-.0],-.125

The Unicode character must be supported by whatever font is referenced it the Text Style, not a problem for the CIRC1 shape from ltypeshp.shx.