Revit: DWG sheet on coordinats

halam

Most Civil engineer know that is very important to have a design made according to your local coordinate system. Typically in AutoCAD you draw your top view in coordinates. What I did not accomplish yet with Revit is to export my sheets in a right way. And I do not mean a view but complete (/set of) sheets. Is this possible ? How?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RobDraw

• halam

• tzframpton

• hlammerts

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm away from Revit right now so I can't verify my thoughts but bear with me. I'm not away from Revit anymore so ignore that first sentence.

I think it is doable but it's going to take some work on your part.

Are you familiar with the export options dialog box?

Revit has an option for exporting using project coordinates. Views on sheets and links can be exported as XREFs. I ran a quick test and it looks like Revit makes a unique XREF for each view and maybe a central one for links. Depending on what you are starting with and your desired result you may have to create special views for exporting for use as an XREF for your sheets. It looks very doable, but may take some work on your part.

BTW, don't do the automatic naming when you export. In my test the file names were outlandishly long.

Also, forgot to mention that my test was on an MEP project so I couldn't verify coordinates. Well, I could have but I forgot to, before I shut everything down.

Hi Rob, i am to a certain degree familiar with export options within revit. I know there is an option to xref the views and i also noticed the checkbox to export to shared coordinats. It would be somehow logical that it would work on both views and sheets. But as far as i know the problem (challange) is that this only works for a single view. What do i have to do to make it work for sheets as well? .. It would really be a major timesaver!!

Depending on what you are starting with and your desired result you may have to create special views for exporting for use as an XREF for your sheets. It looks very doable, but may take some work on your part.

In other words, more information is needed. It's not convenient for me to jump in and out of Revit right now to re-test what I have. I need to know your workflow.

Central or local?

Using links?

Maybe a description of project base point vs "survey base point"(?).

I'll dig deeper in the morning.

hlammerts, if I'm reading your original post correctly, you never set the Survey Point and Project Base Point based off the civil engineer's origin point before you modeled and exported? So, in AutoCAD, things aren't "lining up" based off XREF'ing 0,0 correct? If so, you'll want to go to a Plan View, make sure the View is set to True North, open Visibility/Graphics > Site categories and expand, turning on both the Survey Point and Project Base Point and place them accordingly, keeping in mind the differences between the two AND how they affect the model when moved via Clipped and Unclipped.

In analogy, the Survey Point is much like the "WCS" in AutoCAD, where as the Project Base Point is much like a defined "UCS" in AutoCAD. This information matters only if I translated your inquiry correctly, which I'm not sure that I have. Can you respond with a confirmation that I have assumed your situation accurately? If not, can you be more descriptive? Thanks!

-TZ

Indeed, We use shared coordinats methology settting survey point and project base point. But the problem is that sheets do not get oud the same way as views. It does not really matter if you set this up for somewhere in the usa or in europa. Can you make dwg sheets come out the same way as a single view?

Indeed, We use shared coordinats methology settting survey point and project base point. But the problem is that sheets do not get oud the same way as views. It does not really matter if you set this up for somewhere in the usa or in europa. Can you make dwg sheets come out the same way as a single view?
Have you tried the XREF method when you Export? The last step of the DWG Export box, there's a checkbox enabling or disabling XREF exports for the "drawing" portion. I haven't personally ever checked to see if the origin is in place, but I guess I could try to confirm. Just thinking out loud at the moment to see if this has been tried or not.

Why are you using 2 accounts on CADTutor?
Do you think maybe this could have been addressed via PM? Thanks in advance.

Must be your conscience and thin skin, since the OP used two different User Names on this thread, I would have thought it would be clear as to whom I was addressing the comment.

...since the OP used two different User Names on this thread, I would have thought it would be clear as to whom I was addressing the comment.

Seemed clear to me as well.

Seemed clear to me as well.
I agree it was clear as well. I knew who SLW was referring to right away. Just thought it was more of an administrative issue which could have been dealt with via PM is all.

SLW has had multiple issues with me for no apparent reason. I honestly thought this was another one. The guy has a complex of some sort.

After looking back, it is clear. I've been responding to this thread and didn't even notice. I was wrapped up in trying to help, missed it, and made a mistake, but all I did was ask a question. Does that warrant exclamation points and threats from a mod?

... Just thought it was more of an administrative issue which could have been dealt with via PM is all.

Sure but that's a judgement call imho. Much like calling someone out for a double post. Neither right nor wrong.

must lost my password along the way I now remember.

Using differentt machines. I don't mind if you just delete one of me ..;-)

I would like to get get back to the topic if this is still possible.

Drawings as revit output is still impotent stuff after all!

Export to separate Xrefs I tried but did not make much difference.

To me it just seems that the checkboxes just do not work as they are intended (that is, views together in a sheets, options?)

Would like confirmation about this defect or sincerely would like the right workaround..

Any other suggestions what I should try?

Export_CAD_Formats_-_Save_to_Target_Folder_2015-07-30_16-30-09.png

Modify_DWGDXF_Export_Setup_2015-07-30_16-29-16.jpg

DWG_Export_(reageert_niet)_2015-07-30_16-36-52.png

Modify_DWGDXF_Export_Setup_2015-07-30_16-38-37.jpg

Modify_DWGDXF_Export_Setup_2015-07-30_16-37-42.jpg