A big letter "S" appears in paper space layout but it's not there in the model space.

I'm working with a floor plan that was forwarded by a contractor. When I go to paper space in the layout tab, a big "S" appears in the middle of the floor plan but it is not there in the model space. How do I make the "S" disappear from my paper space layout? I'm using AutoCAD 2012 - the file I'm working with was created from a newer version that I had to "save down".

Welcome to CADTutor. :)

It sounds like the S was created in paperspace, not Modelspace.

If you click on it to select it, you can likely learn a great deal about it from the Properties or Quick Properties.

Report back to us if you are unable to select it, or if you are able to select it and need further assistance.

No, the "S" isn't in paperspace. I can't select it, only the viewport is selected. If I click inside of the viewport and it toggles to modelspace, then I can select the "S" - the entire floorplan is selected. I can open it in block editor but the "S" is not there, just as it's not there when I go to the model tab. But it is still there in the paperspace layout.

Sounds like the S is perhaps part of a linetype which the scale changes in paperspace, or an annotative text style?

Try using the NC (Nested Copy) command to create a copy of the S, and you will be able to get some information off the extracted copy.

You will be able to figure out from the Properties of the copy, what sort of entity it is, whether or not it is annotative, text style, scale, layer, and such, which will help to determine how you should approach it.

Edited by Dadgad

I have found a resolution, though I have no idea about the why's and the how's of the resolution. I deleted the viewport from the paperspace layout tab, then created a new viewport and scaled it accordingly. The mysterious "S" did not appear in the new viewport.

I've got a resolution again, using the NESTED COPY approach. I had not been familiar with that command. I was able to click the properties of the copy and find the layer that it was on. I somehow missed this in my own search, but after turning that layer off within the viewport (and globally b/c I just don't need it), the big "S" disappeared. Thanks for the help! Much appreciated!

Excellent, glad that did it, happy to help. :beer:

The first step in solving any problem, is recognizing that there is one, the second is identifying it.

Out of curiosity, what was it?

I like NESTED COPY, it comes in very handy when working with blocks.

Edited by Dadgad