Batch copy support files from network to local pc

pixel8er

Hi all

Currently my setup is to have all the AutoCAD support files stored on the network. This has been causing some lag due to a slow network. So what I want to do is have a batch file run on startup that will copy the support files to all the local pc's.

Does anyone use such a set-up? How does this compare to using group policies to achieve the same thing?

Thanks

Paul

Here we install the software and support files to the individual machine but we have a "restore" ready to run on the network in case we need to revert the individual setup back to it's starting point. Also, this "restore" allows us to only update templates and not have to do a total re-install.

We update the support files, test them, then upload to our network and deploy an update notification through our IT department.

I should probably mention that we are a large firm of about 700 people and we have a "formal" IT department.

We update the support files, test them, then upload to our network and deploy an update notification through our IT department

Aah ok. So do you know how IT copy the files from the network to the local pc's? Is it a batch file? Using xcopy?

FWIW, Squirl -

With Autodesk leasing 'seats' of software, the days of separate product keys for installation no longer relegate companies into having to install on each machine.

While it is advantageous to do so for performance, a simpler way of maintaining a company's standard deployment could be to distribute the Autodesk software (suites?) as Remote Apps hosted on a Server 2012 R2 RDSH implementation.

Basically, the software being distributed as Remote App is installed, configured, and maintained ONCE, within a Hyper-V virtual machine, and is distributed via Active Directory users/groups.

New hire - add them to the AD distribution group, and the app shows up on their desktop on next login.

New SP to test - simply copy the VM, install the SP test critical internal metrics, and if satisfactory, archive the current VM as backup, and use the new as the deployed instance - everyone gets the newly updated app on next login.

Employee being terminated, or transferred - simply have IT remove their AD account from the distribution group.

You can allow user settings changes, or push the standard settings with each login; entirely your call.

Cheers

The link posted by pixel8r is a good example be aware though to make sure you use the correct number of slashes. The other thing is to have 2 desktop icons which have the properties set to the correct profile either the server or the local drive this can save a lot of headaches if a server goes down.

While it is advantageous to do so for performance, a simpler way of maintaining a company's standard deployment could be to distribute the Autodesk software (suites?) as Remote Apps hosted on a Server 2012 R2 RDSH implementation.

That sounds like a pretty efficient set-up. I'd like to try it but our network is too slow.

Edited by pixel8er

The other thing is to have 2 desktop icons which have the properties set to the correct profile either the server or the local drive this can save a lot of headaches if a server goes down.

I'lI give this a try too. Though will only need one icon pointing to the local drive

So if I included this line in my acaddoc.lsp would that work? My.bat is stored on the network and will copy the support files to each users local pc

(startapp "V:/AutoCAD2013/My.bat")

If you elect to rely on .BAT for your update mechanism, then you'll need to run it prior to AutoCAD starting, as Acad.lsp, and AcadDoc.lsp are loaded in the second half of the startup sequence - meaning some of the files you're attempting to update may already be open (unable to be updated).

Instead, you might consider modifying the assigned ..\NetLogon\ script for your domain, specifically for CAD users in Active Directory.

If you do not have permission to manage ..\NetLogon\ for AD user accounts, then you might consider executing your .BAT (although I much prefer PowerShell these days) from the user's startup folder at logon:

%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\

You could fire up Autocad via a Bat and a desktop icon, note the " " around profile name.

C:
cd\
CD "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013\UserDataCache\"
"C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013\acad.exe" /P "<<C3D_metric>>"

If you elect to rely on .BAT for your update mechanism, then you'll need to run it prior to AutoCAD starting, as Acad.lsp, and AcadDoc.lsp are loaded in the second half of the startup sequence - meaning some of the files you're attempting to update may already be open (unable to be updated).

Instead, you might consider modifying the assigned ..\NetLogon\ script for your domain, specifically for CAD users in Active Directory.

I think I'm going to have to stick with the .bat approach. We have an outside IT company and I'm not sure how the NetLogon approach would be viewed. Or the time on my part to help them implement it.

You could fire up Autocad via a Bat and a desktop icon

If you elect to rely on .BAT for your update mechanism, then you'll need to run it prior to AutoCAD starting

So if I'm understanding BlackBox and BIGAL then I could use a .bat that is fired from the AutoCAD desktop icon to:

1. First update the support files from network to local computers

2. Then start AutoCAD

Would that work?

Hi all

Currently my setup is to have all the AutoCAD support files stored on the network. This has been causing some lag due to a slow network. So what I want to do is have a batch file run on startup that will copy the support files to all the local pc's.

Does anyone use such a set-up? How does this compare to using group policies to achieve the same thing?

Thanks

Paul

sample batch file edit as needed.

@echo off
if not exist "c:\AutoCAD" (
md c:\AutoCAD
)

if not exist "c:\AutoCAD\PROJECT_NAME" (
xcopy "%~dp0Shell" "c:\AutoCAD\PROJECT_NAME\" /e /d
xcopy "C:\AutoCAD\PROJECT_NAME\PROJECT.dwt" "C:\AutoCAD\" 
)
xcopy "C:\AutoCAD\PROJECT_NAME\PROJECT.dwt" "C:\AutoCAD\" /y
xcopy "%~dp0PROJECT_CLIENT\PROJECT_NAME" "C:\AutoCAD\PROJECT_NAME\" /e /d /y

C:
CD C:\AutoCAD

"C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD YOUR_VERSION\acad.exe" /product ACAD /language "en-US" /p "C:\AutoCAD\PROJECT_NAME\PROJECT.arg"

put his batch file to the root of the folder WHERE PROJECT_CLIENT folder is located it will automatically copy the the entire PROJECT_CLIENT folder to drive C:\Autocad and use this batchfile as a autocad launcher.

I think I'm going to have to stick with the .bat approach. We have an outside IT company and I'm not sure how the NetLogon approach would be viewed. Or the time on my part to help them implement it.

No worries; ..\NetLogon\ is just the network share that hosts the script(s) specified in Active Directory for domain user logon, to map drives, etc.

You still have complete access to the machine's local ..\startup\ folder (see path above) - if your 3rd party IT has not intentionally removed modify permissions, then you should have no issue placing your .BAT there, and this will run when user logs into their workstation (effectively running before any AutoCAD session is launched). :thumbsup:

This way, user just logs in, out of date files are updated (with or without notification), and they simply start AutoCAD and go about their work like normal.

Cheers