General advice about LT product

BTB

Hello

I have been working for an Architect Firm for many years BUT now I find I want to do work for myself, however I cannot afford (yet) the cost of a full Autocad Architecture 2016 License (at the office we use version 2014)

I have heard of, but never used, Autocad LT and the price looks good for my startup business- so my question is what is this product suitable for?

I will be producing 2D drawings for customers and Planning Departments and Building Regulation Departments in the UK. Majority of the projects will be small housing developments, individual house "new builds" and improvements / extensions /conversions and so on.

I will need to produce pdf of my drawings for emailing to clients as well as printing full size drawings on A3 paper and on plotter

Finally if I buy Autocad LT and later decide I want to use the full product is it possible to "upgrade" easily?

Thank you for your attention

Bernie. :)

Yes I do know, and when I have gathered enough information and advice as to what version I should be using, I will do a price comparison :0

Thanks for your reply

It sounds as though, LT would manage all that you need, just be aware that there is no LISP in LT and data extraction has to be approached differently but if you don't use those then no problem, why not try the 30 day trial version just so you can see the differences, and maybe look at the monthly plan offered by Autodesk which means you are not stuck with a lump sum payment, and I believe that swapping from LT to full would be easier that way, and if things don't work out you haven't had to make a big investment.

Thanks for the prompt reply - very encouraging comments :) I will get the trial version and try it as you suggest

I have just thought of another question... I have Windows 7 on my desktop BUT the boss wants to move all PC to Windows 10 ASAP... does LT 2016 run on either or both out of the box or do I need to do something to enable it (particularly Windows 10)

Bernie

At this time no AutoCAD version is designed for Windows 10 AFAIK, but many are posting success on AutoCAD 2016 and others installing, seems to be a .NET version issue and some Registry editing involved.

I would wait until a service pack release or at least allow time for some descent reviews and updates on Windows 10 upgrade for a company, according to IT where I work and several online sites, still a lot of security problems/vulnerabilities in Windows 10 at this time.

I agree, you should trial LT and see if it will work. There are some free and low cost alternatives to AutoCAD available, you may want to look into those options also.

Free CAD programs for the non-student.

Low cost CAD programs.

If you have used Architecture you will experience a huge loss of items that you take for granted, there is no draw walls windows doors etc. Everything will be from 1st principles, that said people like Steven-g have spent hours making shortcuts for LT.

Me personally I was involved in a architectural add for Autocad "Cad-ARC" and it ran on Intellicad etc, architectuire arrived and the product was overwhelmed but is still available I believe. All this can be done in LT except the roof as a surface as it uses pface, but the rest is achievable.

3dhouse.jpg