Swibbs

I am trying to create a database that contains additional information about the components that I am going to use in a one-line diagram. If possible I would like to create some kind of prompt related to the component in use, which allows the user to input complete specifications for that component and compiles them into a data base of some kind. I have already created dynamic blocks for each component that I will be using and there is some basic information attached to each block that will show on my drawing, but I would like to be able to create an additional database linked to the components so that I don't clutter my one-line drawing. I already know that I could hyperlink documents to the components, but that is not the route I would like to take if at all possible. Does anyone know of a way to create a database like this or if it is even possible? If I am not clear on what I am asking or if anybody has a question I will do my best to answer or rephrase my current question.

Welcome to CADTutor Swibbs. :)

I suspect you are familiar with Data Extraction, which while not BIM smart, might get you half of the way home, and create a table in your drawing, or an external spreadsheet which is editable.

Edited by Dadgad

I know you can create a link to a MS Access database from Autocad please don't ask me how, I see mechanical but I would expect it still supports this. Going down the excel path may be easier as suggested by Dadgad. There are some Mechanical users here who should be able to help.

I used to create blocks with loads (hundreds) of attributes either visible or hidden from view, but it does tend to slow the drawing down. And then use the attext command to get the info out of the drawing and into an excel sheet. Then I realised that any usefull work on the data had to be done in excel anyway, so I am in the process of changing to just include an attribute with any dimension/position information and a unique reference to identify each block, and doing all the rest in Excel, Excel has more powerful functions for working with data, at least it does for LT users, it may well be different if you have use of LISP and dataextract.

I found a ways that works for what I am trying to do. I just added a few attributes to my blocks and made them so that they are invisible on my drawing, and that made it possible for me to have my initial prompt for information upon insertion of my blocks. From there I am able to use the Extract Data option and extract the different block attributes that I need and place them into an excel document. Then once I have the excel document I can do whatever else that I need with it.

Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate it.