Drawing Office Standards

FIFTHTEXAS

a pet hate of mine! If you link documents each time you change the file name you break all the links. I don't use XREFs but this is a good way to stop them working. :)

We keep our file names the same indicating project # and sheet # all contained with in specific folders that we indicated what revision we are on (submission, tender, construction, as-built). We also use relative x-ref paths, not absolute, so you do not run into the problem of broken x-ref paths everytime you change a name / update a project.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Strix

• dbroada

• merdrignac

• GCarr78

whoops sorry that last comment of mine seems a bit irrelevant as I forgot to read the second page of discussion. That's a Friday mentality for you!

This really depends on your area of work. Construction has many diffrent set of revsions and standards.

Agreed Zorg, many different disciplines use different revision names and types. Heck ..different types of projects use different revisions.

• 8 months later...

As a new AutoCad user, I have a question regarding the numbering system and how it is used with the drawing. The company I work for has the same numbering system as stated above by Merdrignac.

"e.g. Drawing No. CW 890 001 Rev. A"

The question I have is how that drawing number is "revisioned up". Currently, my company has 60+ drawings in a drawing set. When it is time to "rev up" a drawing, I must go through each drawing and change from rev A to rev B etc. sometimes this takes a long time as I have to change each file name for many drawings. We use a X-Ref for the drawing revision refering back to revision drawing that is used in each drawing. It seems to be quite tedious for a small change that needs to bump up a revision to have to change so many file names.

Is this really the best design?

I thank anyone who will give me insight to my question.

Thanks

Patrick

Sounds like you need some document managment system that can automate this for you. have a look at www.practicalprograms.com Not too sure you are changing 60 drawings if the revision is only on 1 of them, but I might have misunderstood, plus don't know what industry you are in.

Hi all! Back again after a temporary hiatus in employment.

My system is simple for me, as I only work with one drawing file at a time. For example, road and drainage layouts for a housing estate. All plans, sections, construction details etc. are drawn 1 to 1 in model space. All drawing sheets required for issue then layed out in paper space. Any modifications required to the model is reflected as a revision number update in the relevant layout. Then the whole file saved as the next letter in the sequence.

i.e.

Drawing file No. "CW 890 001 Rev A" contains 11 layouts numbered in sequence

890001-01B, 890001-02A etc. ( the letter being the revision for that particular layout).

Layout 89001-01B is revised to C then the whole file saved as

Drawing No "CW 890 001 Rev B".

A cumbersome explanation for a simple operation :)