permanently close the $@$#% ribbon

David Bethel

Good catch BB. To clarify: the current Ribbon is very easily customizable.

;)

No gotchas here -

I just remember being stoked for an upgrade back when I was still using Land Desktop 2006, and then I got Land Desktop Companion 2009 Haha... Having to work with 2009, until SP3 came out was a very long, and painful +/- 10 months for me. #JustSaying

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• David Bethel

• BlackBox

• Dadgad

• tzframpton

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Something else to add regarding the Ribbon....

Those who do not care for the Ribbon, may come to appreciate just how well Autodesk did with integrating it into CUI Editor, if they have any experience with VSTO (Visual Studio Tools for Office) development.

While still not perfect, obviously, the lengths that Autodesk Development Teams went in order to make it so highly customizable today, not to mention all of the Context-sensitive content (RibbonTabs, or RibbonPanels that show based on the active selection, etc.), is really quite impressive if you've ever had to work with VSTO, even as a beginner.

... My $0.02

This.... 8)

Give it a shot Bethel, you may just like it. Remember, the Ribbon is very easily customizable. -TZ

LOL. I have no intention of using 2012 other than to test programs that I write for ADN and make sure they run on this platform. It was the ribbon and screen stuff was very distracting even if just for testing. 8)

-David

LOL. I have no intention of using 2012 other than to test programs that I write for ADN and make sure they run on this platform. It was the ribbon and screen stuff was very distracting even if just for testing. 8)

-David

Gotcha, that makes sense. So this is not production use. I know you've got a great setup with the version you have, it would be very interesting to see it in action. I mean, basically all you have done, was beat the other programs to the punch, creating a "parametric environment" for yourself in which the ladder programs have now done.

Thanks.

I had to run this R13 Windows in order to do a screen capture. R12 DOS looks a bit different, but the work space and command line look pretty much the same.

DAMN! David, that is very impressive, nice work. Thanks for sharing that visual. :beer:

Thanks ! I probably have 700 - 800 of these type routines that I've made over the last 25 years.

Mostly text based. A few DCL. Some based on ASCII data files containing all of the functions calls and parameters for multiple model simultaneously.

-David

Here's a very old dcl driven. They take a long time to develop but can have a lot intelligence built in. -David

www.davidbethel.com\dcl-samp.gif

Here's a very old dcl driven. They take a long time to develop but can have a lot intelligence built in. -David
Definitely impressive!! Honestly, the DCL box reminds me of Revit type based Families, only instead of having static sizes, you can simply type in the values and everything "flexes" with it. But, you can still have static sizes as well.

Impressive indeed for the version of AutoCAD you run. :)

[David Bethel Design] - Welcome to David Bethel Design, how can we help you today?

[blackBox] - Yeah, Hi... I'd like David to completely redesign my kitchen... I need a 6-Burner industrial Wolf range with ceiling height hood (What?! I like the red knobs! Haha), Sub-Zero 48" double door fridge, and 30" wine cooler, please. Thanks!

:D

Definitely impressive!! Honestly, the DCL box reminds me of Revit type based Families, only instead of having static sizes, you can simply type in the values and everything "flexes" with it. But, you can still have static sizes as well.

Impressive indeed for the version of AutoCAD you run. :)

Thanks

Almost all of the manufactures for this style range have static sizes ( 12" increments ) . I've found that it is easier and much faster to have dynamic values on the command line.

The nice thing about static stuff are the rules are much easier to enforce. ie if electric fuel is select, 12" and 72" widths are not allowed ( tilemode 0) and convection bases are not available

I've haven't messed with Revit much. Just enough to feel it's not for me.

-David

This just makes me want to make a dynamic block...

The end result here is an anonymous block, so in effect, these type of routines are the predecessors to dynamic blocks. It is possible to edit these, it is simpler just to rerun the program.

Legacy hatches were similar as they were classed INSERTs.

I don't think dynamic blocks came into being until 2012 or so ?

-David

I don't think dynamic blocks came into being until 2012 or so ?
Dynamic Blocks were introduced in 2006 IIRC, but I believe it was 2007 or 2008 that gave them the boost they needed to be very complex.

This just makes me want to make a dynamic block...
What David Bethel is creating are full 3D solids. Dynamic Blocks can contain 3D solids, but you cannot manipulate the shape or size of 3D solids since the parameter tools are for 2D elements. -TZ

No, but as another option, one can have multiple, overlapping 3D Solids, where only one is visible in any given Dynamic Block's Visibility State.

As example, I do this for our Dynamic Title Block, which allows me to quickly switch from Plan (Full), to Plan and Profile, etc.

Cheers

You most certainly can do that, I agree. Even the Array parameter works on 3D objects, but then your Dynamic Block becomes a pseudo block and I've found in the past to have serious issues with 3D solids being inside Dynamic Blocks.

:)