options with grips

squareknees

I have been working in AutoCAD for many years and this one I have never figured out.

I want 2 grips to show up with one of my blocks, how do I do that.

I have a lot of blocks that I work with and a lot of them have a ton of grips that I do not want to have to deal with so I have turned grips off in blocks yet this causes another problem. I have one block that I need more then one grip to be able to use it. is it possible to have multiple grips show up in one block yet not in others?

I always thought you either enabled or disabled grips within blocks. I don't recall there being an option for how many grips are displayed when one selects a block. I assume you are not using dynamic blocks is that correct?

I always thought you either enabled or disabled grips within blocks. I don't recall there being an option for how many grips are displayed when one selects a block. I assume you are not using dynamic blocks is that correct?

ReMark, I think you're right but can't you somewhat control how many grips appear based on how the block was created?

For instance, if you took two individual blocks with an insertion point near the center, and then combined those into a single block, wouldn't that make the finished product have two grips? I haven't tested this but it sounds like it might work.

After reading through this, it also sounds like a lot of work for little reward. :)

In options, under selections tab there is an option to show grips within block. If you do not have that checked the only grip that shows up is the insertion grip.

I have created a dynamic block that add extra grips to the block. The block is of a blum style hinge. The grips are exactly 3" below and 3" above the centerline of the block and from the end of the block it is 3/4" so I can insert the block where I need it. For our company we do a typical 3/4" thick door and our standard is to have the hinge 3" from the bottom of the door or 3" from the top of the door. This way I can highlight the block and the grips show up. I then select the grip above the block and snap to the outside corner of the top of the cabinet door and it is placed perfectly. I will then add one to the bottom of the door by doing the same thing but with the bottom outside grip.

I also have a few blocks that if I have 'show grips within block' selected I can not see the lines there are too many grips showing up.

So how do I get the grips for the hinge to work with out having 'show grips within block' selected.

I don't think you are adding grips and instead are adding insertion points. So when you go to insert your block hit CTRL key and watch as the insertion point cycles between your insertion points, once you have the one you want, pick a location in the drawing.

The way I handle this issue, is to include registration marks in the block when created. I use points for the registration marks, large ones with a circle and a "+". The points are placed on a layer that does not plot and are visible and snapable even when grips within blocks are disabled. I use the center snap of these points to move and align the block.