Dimensions randomly changing when using "save as"

Zach571

I didn't see how "Save As" could be the cause in the first place. that would mean there is some sort of degradation and would be a known issue.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Dana W

• RobDraw

• Zach571

I agree but since Zach was so adamant about it I thought I'd test his theory. It didn't take all that much time anyway so what the heck. He can't say we didn't try. He's the one who has been less than cooperative.

The root of the issue is associative paperspace dimensions that are not "stuck" to anything.

This sounds like a likely scenario to me, Dana, exascerbated by the bad cad behavior which Remark suggests in the following post.

If no snaps were used, then that sounds like the real fly in the pudding. :beer:

Yes, it should show paper space units. But what if the viewport scale was 1:1?

That is possible.

In this case, what units would make sense for that text height to work?

Doesn't it break the dimension (show paper space units), if it is not snapped to objects in model space?
Even an associated dim will measure in modelspace units, to a point in mid-air in modelspace, for a while, then one day somebody does something simple like Z,E, or activate the viewport, BeeeeeeeeeeyOINnnnnnnnnnG....

So one day I was looking for a whole set of m-leader notes, to copyclip to another drawing on another paperspace layout. I was going to close without saving anyway, so I erased the viewport to get a better visual on the group of m-leaders, and all the dimensions jumped up and flew off about 300 yards to the left of the paper image.

I think you guys have way more free time at work than I do. I always use OSNAPS. I recently went through these drawings (4 total). Based on the fact of the amount of changes and the wonky dims I redimensioned all of the drawings when I was done. Today, two of the 4 have wonky angles but none of the dims changed to the fourth place decimal as some had in the past. Original was the first one a drew, when completed I saved as to create the next and so on for the four drawings. This last edit I did each individually but I did copy the edited lines from the original to the rest.

Zach571

original.dwg

saveas.dwg

A general comment: I recommend you always set Display Locked to yes.

And it is your contention the wonky angle (i.e. - 88.8889g) is being caused by doing a "save as". Interesting.

OK. As I was preparing to do something in the second drawing I moved your viewport. When I did, the wonky angles magically corrected themselves. I only used the Move command. I did not make any attempts at editing the angles via the Properties palette or any other method.

Try it yourself. Move the entire drawing (include the viewport) down .125 inches and watch what happens. Then move it up the same distance and watch what happens.

Another general comment: I would recommend you pop into model space and run the OVERKILL command. There are 10 overlapping objects. I would then run the -PURGE command (include the dash). Purge REGAPPS first. Repeat the command and purge ALL. Finally, run the AUDIT command and when asked if you want AutoCAD to fix any errors it finds respond with Yes. Follow this up with a Zoom > Extents, turn off your viewport then save the cleaned up drawing.

BTW...thank you for providing copies of the drawings.

Sorry, one last thing I noticed. You did not strip out your company's title block and border. It can still be inserted.

Edited by ReMark

OK, I am at a complete loss. The snaps are dead nuts on, both UNITS and Dimstyle angle precision are set to whole degrees only. The angles measure to whole degrees 35 and 80. Yet they are reading well over the actual measurement. :shock:

Then, ANY manipulation of either the viewport or the dimensions correct the error. Maybe AutoCad's internal math is having trouble reconciling the rounding and scaling solutions. I just don't know.

Paperspace dimensions. A pox on all of them. :rofl:

Ahah. The dimension may be associated to two different lines or intersections, or whatever.

To your credit Dana you put me onto something.

Pop back into model space and run the OVERKILL command on the sectional view at the far left. Then do the same for the sectional view on the right. There are 3 overlapping objects for the left hand version and zero for the right.

Dag nab it! I was hoping the culprit was due to the overlapping objects in the left hand sectional view but I have determined that the paper space viewport was based upon the objects on the right hand side. Curses! Foiled again.

Even moving the viewport 0.0001 to one side or the other makes the wonky angle self-correct. Ghosts in the machine?

To your credit Dana you put me onto something.

Pop back into model space and run the OVERKILL command on the sectional view at the far left. Then do the same for the sectional view on the right. There are 3 overlapping objects for the left hand version and zero for the right.

Dag nab it! I was hoping the culprit was due to the overlapping objects in the left hand sectional view but I have determined that the paper space viewport was based upon the objects on the right hand side. Curses! Foiled again.

The viewport is using the views on the right.

I'm too fast for you Dana. Heat getting to you? Sunny and cool here in CT.

Just double-clicking on the wonky angles will cause them to self-correct too.

Click once on the 38.8889 angle and check either Properties or Quick Properties. The angle reports back as 35 degrees.

If you go into DimStyle and Modify the VG Standard's > Angular Dimension > Precision setting from 0 to 0.0 then back to 0 the angles self-correct. But.....the dimensions change from decimal to engineering units! Gadz zooks this is a fun drawing!:o:shock::lol:

Otherwise known as working smart and not working hard.
If only some testers would do that at AutoDesk.

This one's driving me crazy for some reason. I'm gonna have to download it again. I broke my first copy real bad. I accidently used 0.10 tolerance for OverKill and it really trashed everything. By the way, there are overlapping lines and duplicates in both right and left sides of the drawings. You just have to check off all the ignores.

Hmmmmmmmmm. Why are there two copies in one drawing?

I've had modelspace dimensions that have been copied with an object sometimes fling one node back to the original spot in between save, close, and open, but that can't be related, I don't think.

Drat. The Purloined letter, I bet.