Shift to AC LT. Does it have these features?

CalypsoArt

I've been using AutoCad for a couple decades now. Currently I'm on AutoCad Architecture 2012. I expect by next year to move my machines to Windows 10, and I'm deciding whether to continue with AC. Many years ago I abandoned using AC for 3D and do all that work in Sketchup. (And on occasion Rhino) I have a workflow system of modeling in SU and exporting sections to AC for 2D drafting. For my work, (Film/TV) this system is consistently faster than any other method using different software packages. However, at this point I barely use the functions AC Architecture, and upgrading to the latest version seems like a waste of money. (Also, the latest version does not officially support Win 10.) I looked at other much less expensive CAD programs, all missed some feature that I use regularly. I'm now considering switching to AutoCAD LT, but wonder if it too might be missing any of my essential features.

Here's my list so far. These are things I want or were missing in other packages.

1. I hate the Ribbon of the current AC. 2012 still allows the "classic" toolbars UI. I was told that Classic was phased out in later editions. True?

2. I use the Wipeout tool a lot. Does LT have this tool?

3. Do Dynamic blocks work in LT?

4. Does LT have the "White" layer color that displays as white in model space but black in paper space.

5. Does LT support fields in Paper Space as AC Architecture does.

6. Though I no longer model in AC, I sometimes have to open existing AC 3D models. Can LT at least open and Save 3D models?

7. Customization like Icons, hotkeys, etc.

That's all so far, but I expect to find more as I realize I took them for granted and never thought they might not exist in other packages.

I use 2013 LT, not sure about the support for win 10 but no doubt that is being worked on for all flavours of Autodesk products at the moment. Where abouts in the world are you based. You should try the trial version just to make sure it's got everything you need, if you can't find a feature or technique for doing something that you are used too then just post here.

1. Ditto - Turned off never to be seen again, I use mainly just the keyboard, but up to 2013 at least there are still the Menu, Toolbars, Tool palette. I can't honestly see them going.

2. Yes

3. Yes, but no constraints (but they never work anyway - in my opinion)

4. Yes

5. Presumably, it certainly supports fields

6. Yes, Open, view, measure (LT just cannot edit or create 3D solids, meshes and such) but it has all 3 axis, but no view cube.

7. I use my own Icons - created in external packages, customisation is limited to what you can do with macros and scripts, there is no real programming options, but Diesel can be used to do some nifty stuff, and when combined with excel, we LT users can get most things done. What exactly do you mean by "hotkeys"

Thanks Steven. Apparently, Win 10 is supported in LT but not other Autodesk Products. I already have Win 10 running on my laptop, so perhaps I can download the trial on that. I'm not sure what the correct term is, but I assigned some keys on my keyboard to certain functions so the same keys do the same thing in all my software. Like reassign "M" to move. I haven't heard of Diesel. What exactly is it?

Command alias's is probably what you mean, they are available for use with any built in command, but not for macro's. Diesel (Direct Interpretively Evaluated String Expression Language) is a language that can be used within macro's, mainly for getting at variables, but if you enjoy headaches and throwing things around the room, then eventually it can be forced to do some things that can be usefull (it is certainly nothing like Lisp or VBA programming), just a simplish string manipulation language for "stringing" commands together along with variable values.

• 6 years later...

I also hate the ribbon.  I use the toolbars for almost everything.  I've resisted updating from Autocad 2013LT to the newest version, until someone can giving me a definitive answer about whether the new Autocad versions have the "classic" toolbar option.  

If you have LT 2013 then look at Bricscad or Intellicad/Progecad or ??? You will never look back price wise better than current LT and get so much more functions. Lisp being one of them.

Down load the 30 day trial. yes has Classic menu's etc. Bricscad V22 has just been released. 

I write my own toolbar combos and they work ok in Bricscad. 

You may need win 10 and 64 bit. 

Edited by BIGAL

@BIGAL I noticed thar Bricscad are also now offering a 'Lite' version.

@MLP In answer to your question, yes toolbars are still available in the newest AutoCAD LT version.

Jeez... it is 2021 and about to be 2022 and we are still discussing "Toolbars" versus the "Ribbon"?  Why not just go back to the drafting board and a pencil?  Evolve for crying out loud instead of stagnating.  I'm 72.  I started, 38 years ago, with AutoCAD version 1.2 (April, 1983), when it was a DOS based program and somehow I managed, over time, to transition from a menu based program to the Ribbon.  If I can do it so can you.   

• Agree 1

At age 66, I started on the board using a pencil.  My first Autocad was version 2008.  I have evolved with each new version, but have been using the toolbars for so long that I an extremely fast.  I would not want to tell my boss that I can't meet his deadline for a project because I'm still learning how to use the ribbon.   I have bee learning how to use it on my computer at home but, it can't keep up with me!!!  

I appreciate your comment, but that still doesn't answer my question!

Download a trial of Bricscad and have a look at it, out of box may not have toolbars displayed so type -toolbar nameoftoolbar show

eg -toolbar draw show

once you have 1 toolbar you can add as many as you like right mouse click on the right end the 4 vertical dots then can open more.

image.thumb.png.8ad736ab59e634e1859dcb3957c6f8e5.png

Almost forgot RIBBONCLOSE does just that RIBBON will reopen the ribbon.

For me given the option buy cad software with no customisation like lisp or buy one with that ability. A task takes 20 minutes I do the same in about 20 seconds.

Edited by BIGAL

I made custom toolbars for CIV3d saves like 3 steps when working with display surface styles. Custom icons are easy to recognise. I still find using CUI to make ribbons a pain. Have looked at making XML via a lisp. Copy cuix rename to zip have a look.

On 11/6/2021 at 7:18 PM, ReMark said:

Jeez... it is 2021 and about to be 2022 and we are still discussing "Toolbars" versus the "Ribbon"?  Why not just go back to the drafting board and a pencil?  Evolve for crying out loud instead of stagnating.  I'm 72.  I started, 38 years ago, with AutoCAD version 1.2 (April, 1983), when it was a DOS based program and somehow I managed, over time, to transition from a menu based program to the Ribbon.  If I can do it so can you.   

😆 😆

i hate the ribbon and toolbars. pretty much use commands for everything. find it so much quicker than moving mouse and clicking icons then moving back to drawing every 2 seconds

once you learn basic lisp you can set up shortcuts/routines for almost anything and everything. do it for long enough and keyboard shortcuts just become mostly muscle memory, fingers just move to where they need to haha. plus toolbars/ribbons just take up unnecessary space on screen which could be used to view your drawings. whats usually taking up space on my screen is the properties pane which basically lives open these days..

Masetrfal custom toolbars and pop menu's are the way to go this way just have the options you want to use all the time. Make them with notepad very easy.

Check this one out shows sub menu's

screenshot229.png.f761b0155c203dfc573950120bb34ebc.png

screenshot60.png

yeh see that looks like way to many menus clicking/moving through to be finding things.. i'd set up keyboard shortcuts for all that stuff. granted, the list of commands can become mighty lengthy but if set them in a way where they're in some sort of system / pattern then easy to remember.

like most of my hatch commands start with a h. hw for hatch wall, hs for hatch solid etc etc

all my multileader commands all start with an l. la for leader with arrow, ld for leader with dot, ln for leader with none etc etc

all my numbers are set to the cad colours so using 1 on an object will make it red, using 2 will make it yellow etc etc

the above is all just personal opinion of course.

Im guessing those abbreviations in menu are the keyboard shortcuts? i like how you've shown them in menu

9 hours ago, masterfal said:

once you learn basic lisp you can set up shortcuts/routines for almost anything and everything.

This thread is in the LT section so Lisp isn't an option

2013 Lt may have a DVD see how far out the window you can throw it and again go to the dark side one of the alternative CAD programs out there. Just a side  Bricscad on MAC is way ahead of Autocad MAC supporting lisp and vl-lisp.