3D Scan to Revit

Panda

Hello, I'm on the first step to using Revit after years of drawing 2D in Autocad. I'm using one of the Autodesk Revit MEP books as a starting block. My question however is a bit more advanced than that...

If the inside of a building was 3D scanned using a good quality scanner, could the point cloud be brought into Autocad, the individual items picked up in the scan turned into 3D solids, and finally the 3D solids imported into Revit as elements and have data associated/tagged to them?

Thanks.

Yes i This is possible. Through a lot of handwork has to be done to draw solids over the point loud. There is special software available to automate it. Search for Kubit pointsense. Off course there are many other vendors..

Personal flavor I suppose. Doesn't really matter if you are just modeling 3d bodies.

I like Kubit heritage in combination with AutoCAD because of its flexibility on complex shapes.

Revit is more challenging on complex geometry (in my opinion) but i am sure you disagree rob

I totally get wanting to use a platform that you are familiar with. I'm just trying to help the OP be aware that there are issues with converting to Revit.

FARO 3D Software (formerly kubit software from Dresden, Germany) have a special PointSense for Revit program with which you can work on point clouds directly in Revit and automatically and semi-automatically create Revit families. It's very impressive and worth a look. You can also get a free 30 day trial version. They also have an office in the US. All of their software is available in English.

I have much experience with point clouds. My last company owned a Faro 330 Laser Scanner that we used quite often. The programs out there sound impressive, but in reality that don't foster anything that is considered good Revit models. This program worked very well for System Families, such as ducts/pipes/conduits, etc: http://www.clearedge3d.com/products/edgewise-mep/

And yes: skip AutoCAD altogether. Just get the point cloud right into Revit.