Why this attached blank drawing file is so heavy (9.2mb)???

Ashishs

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Ashishs

• eldon

• RobDraw

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you ever use the command "status"?

If you did, it would tell you that there are 304240 objects in your drawing.

Do you ever list the blocks in your drawing?

If you did. it would tell you that there are 14108 unnamed blocks.

Perhaps your drawing is not so empty :cry:

Hi Eldon,

Thanks a lot. This was great to know...also "status" command was new invention for me.

So how can I delete these blocks and objects now? Purge command doesn't show/list any of these blocks?

There are lisp programmes which would be able to clean out your drawing, but is it necessary to start with this drawing?

Do you have a template drawing? AutoCAD has got so "clever", that it keeps all sorts in case it is needed. I start with a empty drawing every time.

Hopefully someone will happen by, who knows the proper solution to your problem. :D

Hi Eldon,

I have received several drawings like this, which has few details inside and file size are all 9mb or more.

So I need to clean these drawings rather than creating new drawing always. How did you list all these unnamed blocks?

Try using the -PURGE command, the hyphen is important, be sure to include it.

Once started, first purge REGAPPS, don't bother to confirm each one, select NO to confirmation,

then purge ALL. Then AUDIT and just for good measure repeat the whole process all over again.

Watch your commandline, as it will report items which have been purged, or open you commandline history, for a better look.

The commandline version of the Purge command is much more robust than the regular purge.

I will be curious to hear how large the file is after you have done that?

Try using the -PURGE command, the hyphen is important, be sure to include it.

Once started, first purge REGAPPS, don't bother to confirm each one, select NO to confirmation,

then purge ALL. Then AUDIT and just for good measure repeat the whole process all over again.

Watch your commandline, as it will report items which have been purged, or open you commandline history, for a better look.

The commandline version of the Purge command is much more robust than the regular purge.

I will be curious to hear how large the file is after you have done that?

Did you try that technique on the sample drawing? if so, what were the results?

I 2nd Remarks idea, you may have multiple blocks that are actually complete drawings inside your dwg, had one that a person just used another project as the initial setup it lived in one corner they never erased it.

Hi, I tried but it doesn't help much. I may be able to reduce few kb s with all this.

Tried to dxfout to R12, but it hanges AutoCAD. Dxfout to other versions doesn't help to reduce size.

I think the problem can be traced to the plethora (probably thousands) of linetypes included in the drawing.

I did however run Overkill, -Purge and Audit but the combination of those three commands did little in the way of reducing the file size.

I'd copy and paste the details into a new drawing and scrap the original.

So much faster than trying to track down everything just to delete it.

Ashishs:

Did you know the drawing units are set to decimal inches? If I run the -dwgunits command is tells me the drawing units are set to inches. See for yourself.

Update: I got the drawing down to 164KB but that only includes model space objects and neither one of the layouts.

OK...with both layouts included the file size remains a respectable 248KB. How's that for going on a Weight Watcher's diet? Only four linetypes too.

I expected you to come back but I guess you had work to do so I have attached a copy of the pared down drawing below. The layouts are a bit odd only because I didn't have a driver for the printer you use.

GLASS FIXING remark3.dwg

Edited by ReMark

WOW...THIS IS GREAT Remark.....Hats off to you.

How did you achieved this? I am sure you did not export or copy paste drawing to new file.

Sorry I was late to reply. Can you share how this miracle happened?

I did use the copy/paste method.

Why is the drawing done using decimal inches? It must be a chore incorporating details from a drawing like this one into one done in metric units.

Hi, It is not practical to copy paste model objects and layouts of several drawings to create new drawing files.

There is no command to delete unnamed blocks and line types?

Not practical? Fine. Just expect to continue working with drawing files that will be way larger (30-40 times larger!) than they need to be. That is not the definition of working smarter. Have fun.

Edited by ReMark