Into how many layouts should a model be divided?

gme

Models with different sizes (m² or ft²) and scales (1:50, 1:100, 1:200, etc.) are divided into different numbers of layouts. I have seen they are either put into a single layout or divided into several layouts. How do you know into how many layouts and at which points a model should be divided to print it out with the right scale and paper size?

Thanks in advance.

You don't. It all depends on what you are working on.

What are we talking about here?

I have started working on electrical desings of different structures like hospitals, schools, factories, etc. I have seen different drawings of such projects (electrical, mechanical, architectural, etc.). When the area is too big to fit into the size of the paper used to print out the drawings, they show models into more than one layout, each layout showing a part of the area.

Yes.

It varies according to a number of factors. A good rule of thumb is to start with the architect's part plans and matchlines. Then make adjustments if needed.

Again it depends on the job. Things like the size of the building, the number of floors, the types and number of electrical equipment will all influence the number of layouts required. You can't just say that for a building of a certain size "X" number of layouts will be required. It doesn't work that way.

Most architectural drafting shops have some standards as far as how the project should be divided up but the standards have more to do with how big your hard copy needs to be and what will fit within one page of that size paper. Therefore, the standards are variable more often than not. For instance, a 12'-0" high structure plotted at 1 1/2" = 1'-0" will be 18 inches tall on paper without dimensions and notes. Where does it fit? Can it be plotted at a smaller scale? How many details of that size and scale will fit on one page? Floor plans can be divided up into logical larger scale sections, for better detailing. However, you will need at least one page for an overall site plan at probably a very small scale.

You will be drawing each entire floor plan all together in modelspace, and then break it up into logical pieces using viewports in paperspace, the quantity of which depends on what scale you need in paperspace, and how big the building is.

In other words, we don't know how many layouts there will be, even on what we are working on at the moment.

The number of sheets require will also depend on the shape of the building you are working o.

E.g. an L or S shaped building may require more layouts to show all parts of it than a rectangular building would.

Good layer management is important when using multiple viewports/layouts.

I have 88 layouts in one project. Grouped by a common theme this case a multi road project, each road details in sequence.

How do you find the drawing performs in terms of time taken to save it?

I have one project which is broken up into multiple dwg files (somewhat representing different stages) and each dwg file has 70 to 80 layouts in it. In hindsight I have found that the drawings should have been split into even more .dwg files as 70/80 layouts in a file makes it frustratingly slow to work in/save, e.g. 1 to 2 minutes to save.

No issues with a single .dwg generally from 20 to 50 layouts in it.