Batch file version

dkeran

I am setting up a review process of drawing submissions from a client. There will be up to 100 submissions with anything from 10 to 100 drawings per submission.

My main aim is to check the file version of each drawing file and each xref (we need these as AutoCAD 2004 format to review within older Microstation software - don't ask!).

Is there possibly a LISP available or something I can work with to batch check files to find out what version they are. I know a batch conversion is possible within True View but I will only be reviewing the submissions and not editing them.

(we need these as AutoCAD 2004 format to review within older Microstation software - don't ask!)

Why is it when someone says, "Don't ask." your attention automatically focuses on that.

You probably can do some sort of batch version check, but if you have to check the version, why not just do a batch conversion? My guess is that it probably won't take much longer on a decent machine.

I'm working with a contractor on a transport infrastructure project for a government agency and I am reviewing our designers drawings before we submit then for review to our client. Our client uses an older version of microstation for review but our designers use autocad 2016 to create - that's the don't ask bit!

It'd probably be easier to confer as you say but I want to stay as the middle man rather than get involved in the draughting with our designers.

I am setting up a review process of drawing submissions from a client. There will be up to 100 submissions with anything from 10 to 100 drawings per submission.

My main aim is to check the file version of each drawing file and each xref (we need these as AutoCAD 2004 format to review within older Microstation software - don't ask!).

Is there possibly a LISP available or something I can work with to batch check files to find out what version they are. I know a batch conversion is possible within True View but I will only be reviewing the submissions and not editing them.

Depending on how the information is handled you may be able to use DATAEXTRACTION. All me experience has shown that this information is never made available through anything you can get there.

I have done something similar but dont have a script ready to go. I can point you to the pieces but it will require some coding.

you can get a file version lisp here :

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/forums/forumtopicprintpage/board-id/529/message-id/46555/print-single-message/true/page/1

If im not mistaken there is an error in the code with one of the version i think you just change the value and its good.

next you would need that to dump to an excel file. you can grab that code from jefferys code here :

http://www.jefferypsanders.com/autolisp_cad2file.html

next just put it in a batch wrapper available here :

http://www.jefferypsanders.com/autolisp_batchlisp.html

I was told some of the cats will actually tailor a lisp to your needs. I'm not sure what it costs but given the scope of your project it may be worth the money.

Edited by TheCADnoob

If you look at the code of the autodesk forum you just need to change the c:dwgformat that asks for a file change it to one that you pass the filename.

You only need say a text file with all the dwg names including path once found write to a different text file with the message then its a simple look at it.

Thanks for all the help, I'll have a look at putting together a LISP. If / when I get it sorted I'll post it here. Thanks again!

For simplicity BIGAL has a good idea, just shoot it to a text file. The information will be the same and you don't have to worry about output formatting.