3D Modeling

nasoox

I need help to make this drawing to something (solid?) that would give me volume of that object and than to conect that object to other objects like that. Im tired and frustrated cause of youtube propelers, I dont need propellers or lamps or lemons.

Description, this is survey from underground mine, 3 main types of points are roof, floor and wals, i did wire frame model (i screwed up UCS but that doesnt matter) so please, tell me what commands should i use to make object like this wireframe.

Thanks for help.

Drawing1.dwg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nasoox

• ReMark

• TheCADnoob

• krishn1234

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I cant walk you there as I'm a lowly noob, but i can possibly get you some where. There a lot of 'debris' in the file. overlapped lines and what not and nodes. I cleaned these out and joined the lines into poly lines at the top and the bottom. I got rid of the vertical lines. I used SURFPATCH and select the top poly line and used the curve mode (CU) and i used the colored contour line as a guide. I did the same for the bottom. I then used loft and the poly lines at the top and bottom to create the wall. Its a shell and not a solid so this work flow may not work for you. I was having issue with the convert to solid command so perhaps some one who knows more than me can get you the rest of the way.

3D model.jpg

If you run the OVERKILL command on the drawing AutoCAD reports back 147 duplicate objects and 15 overlapping objects.

CADnoob: Is the object you created watertight? You could try using SURFSCULPT.

If you run the OVERKILL command on the drawing AutoCAD reports back 147 duplicate objects and 15 overlapping objects.

CADnoob: Is the object you created watertight? You could try using SURFSCULPT.

Awesome! That's what it needed to complete mine, thanks.

Guy's thanks for help, this looks amazing, drawing have overlapping lines cause i didn't have time to do it properly, i was rushing for the bus. But damn, this is more than I expected. Thanks!:)

And from this i could easily draw "direction" lines to other objects to fast calculate lengh, azimuth and slope. You cant imagine how thankful i am. (google search told me that i couldn't do something like this with wire frame)

It is difficult to write each & every steps. See youtube tutorial video it will save your time.

And what YouTube tutorial video were you referring to? If you have a link to a video that specifically addresses the problem then why don't you post it?

A wireframe consisting of 2D lines would not be very useful unless you have a lot of time and like torturing yourself.

Well, my problem is that (to over simplify it) i must draw a cube in correct position, but I only have 6 points, and every point is on one face of a cube (6 faces - 6 points), points are never on edge of a cube or on a vertices, now try to do that with irregular object. Problem here is i cant conclude what are edges or vertice's without drawing 2D poly line along the Z axis till i reach height of closest point for roof or floor. Thats why i first connect all points for roof and points for floor, then i rotate that in X,Z or Y,Z plane or something between to see the entire length of poly for floor and roof, then i draw ortho poly from points for the walls until they collide with line for floor and roof, next step is to rotate that in isometric view and connect ends of alllines to get one loop for floor and one loop for roof.

Don't they make CAD software specific to the mining industry? The way you describe doing it sounds like it takes more effort than it should.

Anyway, what ever method you use that fact you have duplicate and overlapping lines is not good.

Yes, there are bunch of software for mining industry, Gemcom Surpac (50 000 euros) + you need to pay for classes to learn how to work with that program (tutorials are not complete) and still even that program cant automate this process, only pointcloud (you need a scanner to take 50K points in one session) and then t convert that in 3D or to draw with predefined profile like pipes in cad, profiles are good for coal mining, tunels are regular there, but for metal mining tunels are regular till we reach vein, then we go crazy, you've seen swiss cheese in cartoons? Much worse. Enjoy watching image of one part of our mine, there are 2 horizon's (like 2 story's in building) other 4 are on other side of map and they are about 10x bigger Capture.jpg

Mining is sort of experiencing a doldrums of sort at the moment isn't it? I guess the financial outlay wouldn't bring the return on investment the company would like to see unless the commodities market were in a stronger position.

Mining is sort of experiencing a doldrums of sort at the moment isn't it? I guess the financial outlay wouldn't bring the return on investment the company would like to see unless the commodities market were in a stronger position.

Yes, and my boss is crazy, got lost in the pit once -_- , but can you confirm that the only way to do 3D is like I done it with framewire and with TheCADnoob help or there are other ways, im not looking for explanation just for a guide to where to start looking?

I'm not qualified to answer that question as I don't do that type of work for a living. Maybe one of the other forum members can assist you. While I do work in 3D most of my drawings are of equipment (ex. - 3,000 gallon reactor) or structures (ex. - stairs, catwalks & work platforms).

Well, my problem is that (to over simplify it) i must draw a cube in correct position, but I only have 6 points, and every point is on one face of a cube (6 faces - 6 points), points are never on edge of a cube or on a vertices, now try to do that with irregular object. Problem here is i cant conclude what are edges or vertice's without drawing 2D poly line along the Z axis till i reach height of closest point for roof or floor. Thats why i first connect all points for roof and points for floor, then i rotate that in X,Z or Y,Z plane or something between to see the entire length of poly for floor and roof, then i draw ortho poly from points for the walls until they collide with line for floor and roof, next step is to rotate that in isometric view and connect ends of alllines to get one loop for floor and one loop for roof.

could you provide a starting data set? I imagine these are points taken from the field?

could you provide a starting data set? I imagine these are points taken from the field?

I will look at home for raw .dxf but that is with bunch of description layers. This is transfered from dxf to dwg without these unneded layers. I only by mistake changed UCS, you can change it back so KKxxx points are on top and KPxxx on the bottom, points with pure number are walls. And that is what i get after i transfer data from totalstation.

I will look at home for raw .dxf but that is with bunch of description layers. This is transfered from dxf to dwg without these unneded layers. I only by mistake changed UCS, you can change it back so KKxxx points are on top and KPxxx on the bottom, points with pure number are walls. And that is what i get after i transfer data from totalstation.

Theoretically if you had the data in x,y,z numbers you could probably build a spread sheet to take in these numbers and spit out start stop points for 3dpolylines for your walls and ceiling/floor. Not sure thats the format you get it in but cest la vie, that might save some time. As ReMark is indicated he is not qualified, you can add a couple orders of magnitude for me on that statement lol.

Developing a spread sheet depends on your needs but you could just take X numbers of your walls and match them to the nearest X in proximity of your ceiling and floors and find the slope of you ceiling and floor at that point. Then you could easily plot the walls with this new data. The calculations would be relatively simple and based off of the slope intercept formula y=mx+b.