Exporting to PDF

emilyf

Hi,

I am trying to convert my autocad file into a Pdf as an A1 landscape page, in order to put it into photoshop at a scale of 1:8 of a building measuring 20m in height by 18m in width in elevation.

Firstly, will this fit in the middle of the page at a good scale to add context around? A bit confused as to if this is the correct scale.

Secondly and most importantly, I am trying to save the file as A1 by going to print and then saving as PDF in 841 x 594mm but when I open the pdf it comes up with a blank page and I don't know what I am doing wrong. Please help!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• RobDraw

• eldon

• emilyf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi,

I am trying to convert my autocad file into a Pdf as an A1 landscape page, in order to put it into photoshop at a scale of 1:8 of a building measuring 20m in height by 18m in width in elevation.

Firstly, will this fit in the middle of the page at a good scale to add context around? A bit confused as to if this is the correct scale.

Secondly and most importantly, I am trying to save the file as A1 by going to print and then saving as PDF in 841 x 594mm but when I open the pdf it comes up with a blank page and I don't know what I am doing wrong. Please help!

I'm not sure i would worry about getting at the correct scale in AutoCAD. you can easily scale it in Photoshop as long as the image quality is good enough to put up with the transform. if you get ball park with a high resolution you can nudge it where you need it... that is unless the scale is mission critical.

New Technical.dwg

So i wanted my section on one A1 page and my plans on another one at a scale of about 1:50 but I think I have messed the scale up somehow and also I can't get it onto A1. I am so confused!! Would be so great if you could help me!

Good. Having the file will help get you sorted in short order.

Sorry, I'm actually away from CAD 'til tomorrow. I'm sure that someone will be along to help you before then.

The first thing I'd recommend is that you clean up your drawing using the Overkill, -Purge (Regapps & then All) and Audit (Fix errors? Yes.) commands. Perhaps something in your drawing is partly to blame for your problem. I ran the Audit command on your drawing and it found and fixed 12 errors in the drawing's database.

It appears you have a section and under it there are four floor plans. Were you planning on placing the four floor plans on one sheet or on separate sheets?

Edited by ReMark

Did you know that some objects that show up in your section are on the Plans layer?

And did you know that some objects that show up in your plans are on the Sections layer?

It might help if in the future you assign each layer a different color rather than assigning the same color (white) to all layers.

It also might help if you expanded your list of layers to include one for Hatches, Furniture, Site features (contours, plants, driveway, etc.), Text, Dimensions and Title Block & Border.

Create a layer for your Viewports too and set this layer to "No print" (diagonal red line through printer icon) in your Layer Properties Manager.

emilyf: Going back to this statement from your first post "Secondly and most importantly, I am trying to save the file as A1 by going to print and then saving as PDF in 841 x 594mm but when I open the pdf it comes up with a blank page and I don't know what I am doing wrong."

I think I know what happened here. When I opened your drawing I noticed two things. The first was that the viewport was active. The second was that way down in the lower left hand corner of your layout there was a very much smaller viewport. When you created the PDF then viewed it at 100% size you would have seen what appeared to be a blank space. If you reduce the size down to 35% you'll see all your model space objects depicted in the much smaller viewport. I think you could use a lesson or two on how to set up, scale and utilize paper space (layout) viewports effectively. Is there anyone in your company that can explain it to you? Have you read or seen any tutorials? What kind of training have you had thus far?

I was successful printing the section as a PDF. Take a look...

NewTech_PDF.jpg

Contrary to what the above image shows when I actually print the PDF all the linework does show up. The image is a bit deceiving unfortunately.

Regarding the scale of the viewport. I believe you drew everything back in model space in millimeters. Normally a building of this size would be drawn in meters. If that were the case you could have set your viewport scale to 1:50. However, I think in your case the viewport scale would have to be set to 1:5. Just my opinion, although that is what I used and to me it appears correct, but I don't work in metric units so I could be mistaken. One of the other forum members who is more knowledgeable about working in metric units can educate us both.

To set my scale I made the viewport active, then used the Zoom command and its Scale option. At the command line I typed in a scale factor of 1/5xp (1:5). After positioning my object(s) correctly I popped back into the layout and proceeded to lock the viewport display so I would not accidentally change it.

Edited by ReMark

Remark spot on as usual

Normally a building of this size would be drawn in meters

Architects/building design tend to draw in mm and engineers for site works in metres. Just to Confuse.

Why would architects drawing anything bigger than a garage or carriage house draw using millimeters? Well, did I at least get the viewport scale correct?

Why would architects drawing anything bigger than a garage or carriage house draw using millimeters? Well, did I at least get the viewport scale correct?

One can't really generalize, but the architects that I have done work for seem to be coordinate uneasy. They leave the precision settings alone, so one gets drawings with millimeter units to four decimal places and angles to zero decimal places.

If they try to work to the national grid coordinates, one does have a lot of digits!