Smoothing surfaces SW2015

bizzito

Hello,

I am trying to make a complex shape in Solidworks and the only thing that I can;t fix is smoothing boundaries between surfaces. The model is based on a 3D sketch. Most of the surfaces are "Filled surface' and some of them "Boundary" When I try to set a tangent edges an error occurs. Also I am not able to make a fillet between surfaces, even after knit to solid body. Please help! Do I need to make changes in 3D sketch?

Image 1.jpg

When making complex surfaces in Solidworks, the Filled Surface is a 5th order type patch and good if you need to patch small sections with edges all around. I typically use Boundary or Loft for most of my surfacing work.

Without seeing the actual file its hard for me to say exactly what is going on but here are a few tips.

1. if you are working on a file with symmetry model only what you have to. Anywhere that is going to be a mirror plane make sure you have "normal to" or Tangency with geometry. Normal To only applies to 2d sketches on the same plane used for the mirror.

2. when you start making your boundary surface make sure you hide all sketches. If you leave a 3d curve, or projected curves visible, they are likely to be what is selected and you can't apply a tangency with a sketch.

3. When you are making your sketches make sure that your end conditions in the sketch have whatever relations you wish to add.

if you want to upload the file maybe i can give you more specific help.

bizzito sorry it took me so long to get back. Holidays and work keep me busy.

First, thats a pretty cool shape. I assume a kayak paddle right? Looking at the model there are tons of Filled surfaces and 3d sketches. I am a big believer that 3d sketches suck. well they are very hard to use and utilize. I made 2d sketches and project them to make a 3d curve. On my site(which i haven't updated in awhile) there is a section on projected curves.

http://www.solidworkslessons.info/#!__cs-projected-curves

For more info i did a car tutorial which you can download. Even if you don't want to draw the car the first dozen pages or so will give you more info about projected curves. You can download the SW model of that car from my profile on grabcad.

http://www.solidworkslessons.info/#!__tutorial-downloads

I will say that part of your surface issues stem from the fact that you used sketches for your curves/boundaries in surface features instead of edges. Example is Surface-Fill15. You have a 3d sketch for the complete boundary but you actually have one edge of an existing surface. Using that edge for one side would allow you to apply tangency or curvature control. I was hoping viewing your model that it would be a quick fix and i could help you out relatively quickly but it requires a lot of rework that i just unfortunately can't spare the time for right now.

So what i would do is go back and make sure that you use projected curves and not 3d sketches, it will be much easier i promise! Then make sure that you use edge selections and not sketches/curves whenever possible. When you make your projected curves make sure your splines in sketches have Tangency or curvature continuity with any edges in both 2d views or else your surface will be off.

If you ask questions i should be able to respond quickly. sorry i can't dig into the model more right now.

Hello,

I have a very big success using lofts and boundaries and a small number of surfaces. But now a new problem occurs. I use the Freeform feature to make my desired shape, but it results in error with message that the face is self-intersecting. I run the Check feature and the is no gaps in the model. Also tried to make the Freeform just after building the loft surface (before knit to solid) and the same error occurs again. Attaching a apicture and the SW file.

Thanks!

Ivaylo

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qnngu7bk3i6oz0i/01-03-84.SLDPRT?dl=0

2d9sled.jpg