Dimple pattern on cylinder problem - anyone know an easy or a hard way to solve it?

Matthew Machinist

Hello,

I am trying to create a helical pattern of dimples on a cylinder.

It should be easy but I am have a bit of trouble

The basic process should be –

1. Draw the cylinder.

2. Draw the helix

3. Draw one dimple.

3. ‘Curve driven pattern to extend the dimples around the helix

4. 'Circular Pattern' to reproduce the helix around the cylinder

The problem I am having is creating the “simple dimple”. I am using SW 2011 Premium and for some reason the combine feature is greyed out and I cant seem to get that working.

So as an alternative I created a revolved cut, I succeed in getting this to follow the helix, however this has created another problem which you can see here –

http://s1056.photobucket.com/user/matthewdd3/media/Untitled2.png.html?sort=3&o=0

As you know with solidworks it won’t let you create a sphere using the revolved cut, so the center part of the revolved cut is leaving a bit behind.

To solve this I should just click “tangent to curve”, however when I do it asks me to select a face on which the 3d curve lies. The problem is it doesn’t lie on a curve it lies on a cylinder.

So if anyone can help with either method or perhaps is there another way to create a dimple on a curved surface? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Matt, the image link isnt currently working. Do you have some rough dimensions so I can replicate this? Is the sphere half into the cylinder or only a small amount? Specs on the helix. Num of turns etc. It seems like it should be straight forward but I wont know until I try.

Matt for sone reason I am not able to post from my computer. I answered your question in a video and put it on my site. I set it to free so you can watch it without registering(which is free). Go to http://www.solidbox.tv. and go to "software》solidworks》solidworks. You will see a course called "dimple on a surface". The site is still under construction so let me know if you have issues.