Need help with creating Site Plan from Deed Page

rodjos1000

Hello All,

Having a hard time figuring best way to plot this deed. The many radiii are throwing me off and I end up with a triangle. Any help or tutorial would be greatly appreciated. Just need to unlock the first steps. I have done simple plans before, but this one is above my expertise.

Here is the deed description:

BEGINNING at a point on the Southeast side of James Road (50 feet wide) which point is measured on the arc of a circle curving to the left having a radius of 150 feet the arc distance of 91 feet 7 1/8 inches from a point is measured North 38 degrees 23 minutes 12 seconds East 538 feet from a point; which point is measured on the arc of a circle curving to the right having a radius of 20 feet the arc distance of 31 feet 5 inches from a point on the Northeast side of Thomas Avenue (64 feet wide) thence extending along the Southeast side of James Road along the arc of a circle curving to the left having a radius of 150 feet the arc distance of 72 feet 4 7/8 inches to a point on the Northeast side of James Road thence extending North 65 degrees 44 minutes 35 seconds East 128 feet 5 3/4 inches to a point, thence extending South 50 degrees 25 minutes 8 seconds East 218 feet 11 7/8 inches to a point, thence extending North 36 degrees 35 minutes 53 seconds West 273 feet 5 inches to a point on the Southeast side of James Road, the first mentioned point and place of beginning.

Thanks.

John

Just curious...did you happen to take a look at the property using Google Maps to see where you might have gone wrong? Do you have an actual copy of the deed or was the information provided to you by someone else? Could the description be missing additional information?

Edited by ReMark

Sounds like a homework question to me.

Hard to duplicate without knowing where James Road and Thomas Avenue are located. Is there an image file that goes with this?

That deed needs to be researched at the local land records office. If this is professional work, professional leg work needs to be done. No survey drafter would waste time on just a simple deed. The recording office WILL have plats on file for the lot.

Draw some of the contiguous straight lines first to lay a foundation for the curves. You can piece it together. Assume the curves are all tangent until you find out otherwise. Draw the radius lines 90 deg. off the curve starting point, if you can. Then, draw circles for the curves and trim later when you've found the crossing points are in the right place.

Sounds like a homework question to me.

Hard to duplicate without knowing where James Road and Thomas Avenue are located. Is there an image file that goes with this?

Hello SLW210,

Not homework. Actual Address is 9231 Laramie (James) Road, Philadelphia. I did get the Google MAp image and that's how I know I am off base with what I drew.

Hello Dana W,

It is for work but for a simple key plan. Going to the City hall for plats in Philadelphia is like looking for free $$$ in Times Square!! I will try your approach and see if I can work it out

The property you mention, in post #6, appears to be part of a subdivision. Places to look for site plans of a subdivision would be the building department, city/town clerk's office or the engineering department.

The deed description and what I see on Google Maps don't quite seem to jive. Are you sure you have the 1) right property or 2) correct deed? Why do I say that? Looking at Google Maps can you tell me where Thomas Avenue is in relation to Laramie (James) Road? And the deed description mentions three arcs and four straight lines while the property you reference appears to have three straight lines and what should be an arc along the streetline. Something does not add up.

BTW...I looked up Thomas Avenue in Philadelphia and did not see any sign of a Laramie (James) Road along its entire length from Cobbs Creek Parkway to Baltimore Avenue.

This thread seems vaguely similar to one that was posted not all that long ago. Unfortunately I can't find it which makes me think it was locked and eventually deleted. I think someone is having some fun with us as rodjos first says he needs to create a site plan (see title of thread) but in post #7 he changes this to a key plan. The two are not the same thing and anyone working in an engineering company or a real estate office would know the difference.

Edited by ReMark

Hello Dana W,

It is for work but for a simple key plan. Going to the City hall for plats in Philadelphia is like looking for free $$$ in Times Square!! I will try your approach and see if I can work it out

If it's for work, then somebody has access to a record plat, your boss, or maybe the client. You may not have been given all the accompanying documents. You need them.

Believe me, I know where you are coming from. I spent many a wasted hour in the Washington D. C. City Surveyor's office and in the land records offices of all the surrounding counties. This was in the early 90's and D.C. had yet to even microfiche their plat books. It was like pushing a wet rope up a wall to get copies out of them.

And don't be surprised if the deed description doesn't close.

Hello ReMark, Sorry to disappoint you. This is for an actual project not some stupid prank. I have too much other crap to do than waste time on some prank.

BTW, Yes the Thomas Avenue reference was the name being used for the internet. Alberger Ave is the correct name.

Not everyone is online to troll people. Anyway, thanks for earlier suggestion.

Best Regards,

John

The property you mention, in post #6, appears to be part of a subdivision. Places to look for site plans of a subdivision would be the building department, city/town clerk's office or the engineering department.

The deed description and what I see on Google Maps don't quite seem to jive. Are you sure you have the 1) right property or 2) correct deed? Why do I say that? Looking at Google Maps can you tell me where Thomas Avenue is in relation to Laramie (James) Road? And the deed description mentions three arcs and four straight lines while the property you reference appears to have three straight lines and what should be an arc along the streetline. Something does not add up.

BTW...I looked up Thomas Avenue in Philadelphia and did not see any sign of a Laramie (James) Road along its entire length from Cobbs Creek Parkway to Baltimore Avenue.

This thread seems vaguely similar to one that was posted not all that long ago. Unfortunately I can't find it which makes me think it was locked and eventually deleted. I think someone is having some fun with us as rodjos first says he needs to create a site plan (see title of thread) but in post #7 he changes this to a key plan. The two are not the same thing and anyone working in an engineering company or a real estate office would know the difference.

Thanks Dana W,

Actually was able to go to City Hall today and found someone helpful that plotted out the layout from the city's new ArcGIS software and superimposed the original street maps. I believe the deed description is wrong because the final drawing is only showing one arc. Thanks for your suggestions.

Thanks Dana W,

Actually was able to go to City Hall today and found someone helpful that plotted out the layout from the city's new ArcGIS software and superimposed the original street maps. I believe the deed description is wrong because the final drawing is only showing one arc. Thanks for your suggestions.

A visit to the records office is good for the soul. :lol: The discrepancies between the deed and the plat are a bit perplexing. There may have been a re-recording somewhere between when the deed was written and the current plat was recorded. Is there a title attorney involved?

Roads can disappear. Our town is going to obliterate a couple of them next year and put in a round-about.

Hello all and rodjos1000,

The easiest way I found was to go to the your COUNTY website and there should be a GIS (geographic information system) page that allows interactive with the tax map. You should be able to add or hide layers, and print the boundaries and survey markers plus other information.

John

Of course it is extremely difficult to draw when the information is not correct.

The last angle is 50 degrees out, and should read North 86 degrees instead of North 36 degrees.

Plat.PNG

...... I believe the deed description is wrong because the final drawing is only showing one arc....

I think that the deed description is correct, but needs to be read correctly.

The site only has one side which is an arc, but it is an extension of the arc mentioned at the beginning. The first three dimensions (apart from the road widths) lead you from an easily defined landmark on Alberger Avenue to the point at which the site boundary starts. The site is then defined by the next four dimensions. But seeing a picture makes things much easier.