Need other Solidworks options

gotchy

Good morning,

I have a modest amount of experience using the Solid Geometry end of Solidworks, and very little experience and training using the Surfacing end of it.

My biggest concern is adding features to curved surfaces, spheres and cylinders, for example. With what I know, I am limited to either projecting a sketch onto the curved surface, or the use of the wrap tool. After moving a plane to the tangent of a cylinder, for example, then making a sketch on that plane and employing wrap, or projection, I usually don't have much grief with that first sketch, say a few letters that I want to deboss onto the cylinder, my problems enter if I want to move to a different spot on the surface of the cylinder and maybe the sketch is not tangent to the cylinder anymore. This is why I need to learn a couple of more options of this procedure, maybe employing surfacing. If anyone can suggest some options to me I would appreciate it.

The project that I am now working on is putting a texture comprised of small but different size embossed circles entirely covering a 3" sphere creating a rough texture.

Thanking you is,

Gotchy

IMG_3636.JPG

Gotchy are there any manufacturing requirements or concerns like draft or parting lines? Im not at a computer now but there are ways to achieve this. Most use sketches amd split lines or projected curves. Dome tool. Sweeps and or the boundary tool.

Ill try to work something up. If I make a solidworks 2015 file can you open that?

I replied to your offer before this, I don't see it posted so I guess I did something wrong. I do not have any manufacturing constraints at all. I can only read up to Solidworks 2013

i'm afraid. If you have any links to the other options you mentioned, please send them to me at lotec@cox.net. I'll be happy to pay for them if I need to.

Thank you again.

Gotchy