Ribs to Corners, How?

Akitirija

As when I first begun with SolidWorks, I still have problems with ribs.

My first question here is: Is it possible to create the rib of this drawing using the rib feature of SolidWorks? I certainly was not able to do this.

My second, less important question is: Is my rib correct? It seems incorrect where the rib meets the corners of the square.

I greatly appreciate any input here!

Figure13.SLDPRT

13.jpg

The 2nd file is correct. The Rib tool is not a good fit unless you cheat it a bit. If you use the rib tool and extended to meet the model it has issues with the cylinder. Basically as you extrude away from the midplane it makes a small gap with the cylinder and solidworks wont allow it. It might work if you made a 4mm offset plane but I would have to play around with it to see if that works.

In general with this type of geometry(rib to the top of a boss) you have to play around with it to get the interaction right.

Were there more reference views?

Akitirija, i had a closer look at your second file and there is a slight different in your model vs the image. Where your rib intersect the rib you have a straight section. From the sketch you provided i believe it should arc. Unfortunately unless there is a small raised arc on top of the rib that doesn't really work in reality. The reference image looks hand drawn and that could be the difference. I just wanted to make that clarification for you.

Thank you! That was what I was unsure about. Since it is not dimensioned, and since I am just doing this as an exercise, I think I'll just keep it as in the second model.