Ribbon 'Layout' tab vanished (AutoCAD 2016)

SAFeSTeR

Hi,

My Layout tab in the ribbon has vanished and I have no idea how to reinstate it.

Firstly, I noticed that it used to reside at the far right of the tabs, next to 'Extras', so I dragged it to the left in a convenient location and more what I was used to from AutoCAD 2014. However, I had to do this everytime I launched CAD so decided to try doing something in the CUI.

I located the Layout tab and moved it higher up the tree hoping it would place it where I wanted but it didn't work. The next time I launched CAD the layout tab wasn't showing. I checked the CUI and it was still where I placed it. I thought about putting it back to it's original place but could not remember where that was (click image 1).

Layout_CUI_1.jpg

Then I tried adding it to my Workspace in the CUI, this didn't work either (click image 2).

Layout_CUI_2.jpg

At some point during all this I noticed that when I right click the ribbon to activate or deactivate which tabs are shown, the Layout tab isn't even listed and I'm sure it's a default tab despite how it's behaving (click image 3).

Layout_Ribbon_Tab.jpg

So, can anyone help me to restore the tab or workspace to it's original state or tell me where this Layout tab originally resided in the CUI, maybe this will restore it? Failing that, can I reset the CUI to it's default state?

Thanks in advance.

Glad to hear that you did not step into quicksand and decide to keep on walking a little bit further.

When you make a change like that to a workspace it would behoove you to save the workspace. You do have a custom workspace don't you?

Before we proceed further did you make any other customizations that we should know about?

I do use a custom workspace and have set it to save changes automatically.

I tend not to do much customisation nowadays as I've had problems migrating them in the past, I've probably made 1 or 2 small changes.

The Layout tab is not there when you are in Model Space.

Didn't think about that :oops: but how can I get it to stay in the location I prefer? It's always at the far right.

I do use a custom workspace and have set it to save changes automatically.

I tend not to do much customisation nowadays as I've had problems migrating them in the past, I've probably made 1 or 2 small changes.

I make a dated backup copy of my CUIX file before customizing it as I've made mistakes before. I strongly recommend it. Since as guran said "The Layout tab is not there when you are in Model Space" it doesn't belong in a workspace at all. I keep mine with "Contextual Display Type" at "Full without focus" and "Workspace Behavior" at "Merge or add tab". That way it's added to the Ribbon when I'm on a Layout, but doesn't change the Ribbon otherwise. Most of the time I'm on a Layout it's to draw or modify and don't want a Contextual Tab to take over.