Distortion using Tangent Relations

sanchez

I am attaching three screen grabs of my futile attempt to apply tangent relations to

A sketch destined for cut-extrude through an already extruded rectangle. After CTRL- selecting one straight line then the arc in a clockwise fashion, I get extreme distortion. I am missing something real basic here, I am in hopes that someone will point it out to me.

Diego Sanchez

Image01452.jpg

Image01453.jpg

Image01454.jpg

I'm not a Solidworks person, but based on the pictures, that looks more like a quadrant snap. (I might also be posting a reply because I'm curious about the answer and don't yet know how to follow a thread without commenting)

I am attaching three screen grabs of my futile attempt to apply tangent relations to

A sketch destined for cut-extrude through an already extruded rectangle. After CTRL- selecting one straight line then the arc in a clockwise fashion, I get extreme distortion. I am missing something real basic here, I am in hopes that someone will point it out to me.

Diego Sanchez

Diego, nothing wrong there but you should define the diameter of both circles first. Since they are blue it is under-defined. Also good practice, if you can, center the rectangle on the origin(bottom left in your image) will help you center your sketch in the right place because you could add a "vertical" relations between the center points of your circles and the origin. As it is you will want to right click on one of the edges(top or bottom) of your rectangle and select the midpoint, then add a vertical relation between it and your circle center points(if it is supposed to be centered.

Another thing to be careful of(and benhubel mentioned this) that your smaller circle it appears that your lines are snapped at quadrant points(at 3 oclock and 9 oclock). When you apply a tangent it will snap those lines vertical. You can check this by trying to drag the endpoint of the line around. SW snaps there, or tries to, by default so you might have to draw those lines again being careful not to let it snap there(hold down the CTRL key to override snaps on the fly). When drawing lines on arcs/circles you can actually apply tangent while its being sketched. A good thing to do if you are having issues with this is to actually draw the line out in space. Apply a coincident relations between the end point and the circle, then add tangency.