1. If this question in wrong forum section can a mod move it to

appropriate place pls.

2. the problem - on and off over time since we've upgraded to

AutoCAD 2008 all service packs installed/drivers/any additional

releases pertaining to '08., whenever i try to downsave a drawing to

2004 so people outside the compay can look at our dwgs if necessary

CAD closes without warning, and when i re-open it I've lost wat i've

done. sometimes it's a near complete drg (only lost 10 mins work due

to regular saving) other times it's a brand new drawing.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how do i go about sorting

it. Like I said above it only hapens if I try to DOWNSAVE a dwg to

realse 2004.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: thanks to Remarks advice to another member on this thread

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?p=200230#post200230

I've ascertained that not got all service packs we're stil on SP1!

Was above problem a known error later fixed in a new SP?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• skipsophrenic

• rkent

Top Posters In This Topic

Each service pack comes with a Readme.html file. Open the file and look through the contents. It will tell you exactly what the service pack addresses in the way of issues/problems.

Are you on a network?

Work comp specs -

System:

Microsoft Windows XP Pro

Vers. 2002

Service Pack 2

CPU - £.60 GHz

1 GB RAM

Must be a Europuter. LOL

Skipso: Do yourself a favor man and add some more RAM! 1GB is one less than even Microsoft recommends for running Windows!

Skipso:

I'm left wondering if it is the drawings you're working with or the program that is causing the problem. Does AutoCAD crash when specific drawings are worked on or can it be just any drawing?

Do these drawings utilize Xrefs?

Have you run Audit and Purge on these drawings?

I can't update the RAW, courtesy of our IT help, wish i could say get the one we need not what u think we need to them.

Skipso:

I'm left wondering if it is the drawings you're working with or the program that is causing the problem. Does AutoCAD crash when specific drawings are worked on or can it be just any drawing?

Can be any drawing

Do these drawings utilize Xrefs?

Not always

Have you run Audit and Purge on these drawings?

Every time before i save - 0 error's

Skipso: RAM is cheap. I think they could at least afford 1GB more. Price it out and talk to your boss. Your computer is running uphill dragging a ball (Windows) and a chain (AutoCAD) at this point and is nearing collapse. Penny-wise but pound foolish. Bean counters! Bah - humbug. They should all be taken out back and beaten with a black rubber hose. Probably spend more on a department lunch than the RAM would cost.

Probably, - certainly wouldn't suprise me!

i'm just waiting for the main IT bloke to get back to me and u know

how LOOOOOONNG that can take, if they want to do summat to u're

machine they nick it, if u want sumthi done it can take ages for it to

be sorted.

You might be having problems bewteen your Xrefs and the drawing they are used in.

Be sure all XRefed drawings are saved in the same version of AutoCAD as the main drawing.

checked, all same version (I created and edited them before we upgraded to 2008) nothing doin, have given up on downsaving or now, am going to complete the drawing as a 2008 version, and only downsave if we need to send file out, that seems the safest bet - Untill i can get the service packs anyway.

Are you using the Autodesk Drawing Tabs utility?

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=11226806&linkID=9240617

I had a some what similar problem on an install where any time I used the properties manager on dimensions the program would just close out on me. After contacting Autodesk the recommended a complete uninstall/reinstall. That fixed the problem, seems there was a corrupt file or registry problem.

AutoDesk is emmulating Microsoft. "Have a problem?" they ask. "Well we recommend uninstalling the software then reinstalling it."

Imagine having a problem with your car and when you contact the dealer they say "Uninstall the engine then reinstall it".

Uninstall/reinstall should always be saved as the choice of last resort.

AutoDesk is emmulating Microsoft. "Have a problem?" they ask. "Well we recommend uninstalling the software then reinstalling it."

Imagine having a problem with your car and when you contact the dealer they say "Uninstall the engine then reinstall it".

Uninstall/reinstall should always be saved as the choice of last resort.

In the example I cited Autodesk had worked with me on the problem and could tell that a fresh install was the answer. But yes, many people do a reinstall when a simple variable setting is all they needed.

With all the different variables at play with each computer setup going back to a default fresh install is certainly a way to level the field, and for tough to resolve problems this often times helps.

I think you car analogy is a little lame. More like if you had trouble with your car and the dealer said "lets re-flash the memory on your car's computer".

Of course it was lame...the problem was a flat tire. LOL

LOL.

Haven't tried Rkent's suggestion yet, have got to wait for an IT bod. am locked down with insufficient permissions at work - AARGH! - oh well I'll ask main IT bod to come to my office in person and sort it (if he can)