Civil3D's freezing and disappearing act...

NDCADTECH

Okay guys, I’m getting pretty frustrated with Civil3D. It’s been freezing a lot lately when I switch from the model space tab to paper space tab and vice versa. Not only that, but a few times, after shutting it down from task manager, I have lost a lot of information, even after a recent save. I have lost layout tabs, alignments and all label styles in two of my drawings (they just vanish!), and that’s just from today. It’s happening in both 2014 and 2015 versions. Has anyone else been having this problem?

Open a dwg and run Audit then save, close and exit. Restart CIV3d re-open, see if it errors then. Do this in particular on your DWT that your using.

Same problem in two different versions? Are all service packs installed? If so and the problem still persists then I'd say it is a hardware problem not a software problem. Curious...is hardware acceleration enabled? Is this a standalone workstation or are you on a network?

Running an audit didn't work. Both versions are up to date, and the issue is happening to several users across the company, so it's a server-wide problem. Hardware acceleration is usually on on my workstation, unless I remote in.

I've encountered this problem before.

In the linetype list dialog, do you notice several oddly named linetypes with special characters and DGN in the name?

Okay guys, I’m getting pretty frustrated with Civil3D. It’s been freezing a lot lately when I switch from the model space tab to paper space tab and vice versa.

The last time I saw this, it was because of two things

1. Invalid printers in the printers list. When you switch layouts, AutoCAD goes out and reads the PC3/PMP files and if one or more of them are missing (the printer referenced inside of a PC3) - then it waits...and waits....and waits....

2. Multiple fields pointing to multiple sheet sets (.DST files) on the network. Same thing, AutoCAD has to go out and read all those .DST files, every time a layout is switched.

Go grab Process Monitor and watch the file/registry activity and figure out what AutoCAD and/or the O/S is doing during these "delays".

Ref: http://cadpanacea.com/wp/?p=504