Unsure of which CAD software to use.

parapraxis24

Hello all, I'm completely new to CAD in general so I'll list what my goals are and hopefully you can guide me to the correct software to use.

My goal is to eventually 3D print a steering column mounted gauge pod, similar to this:mk4dualgauges.jpg

So as you can imagine it needs to be fairly precise so the fitment is good. It does not replace the existing column, simply fits over top of it and is held in place by Velcro or tape.

Now instead of starting from scratch, I used 123D Catch and have this render: olMVlREJmaR-IJD_XnrNB1Itftp4CF5X2Vx60hMVcBi34VhJyr3MOkSDHNTc03fdOYEbbEtWY66t-RgwEwglijo-pAQEzS_FHLbyaKt4kCqFTI7TZafHmNhn5N2QOA5sBrEKUdzJggH0yWpV8yk17kj1mfVDSpoAy3QlAnjk6ZCFsqzglezttPS3RspOWmP5Bbxk8F1tcqbjHY7I5vvyTkuvMv6OB10fiewmd3M7M6xuh7s736ltnkLkocik_5OZDNE0GWjz9vRNWohSHlrseuefeNAsr3MlTKo82XArUUG2vjloCfK9tUr5B4O49n60tFwDaK8qSWsW_zIV_Y3MxMRYC4JkRVvtd6WPb_auY41FEReJfeHnNRl1lNRISPecDF3BJatpALjp1cXnKFRHLvShwq6p76R02QgdOryrVIvWHE4j8LxZ8tUgkp26YSruEIKtagQ1n_od7o0qCG4sLiRgZ5jtjH0aPbKdij9-2t0yhF8qVme5rs5f62-e2drIHuzz_bDXRe11zgJPy9_9gTbGS8mRnVmABZwZaClJ0DloKRbWwY8OMBL-8N2XD-C_BG3Cqfn0gnoOEEmBqaFucGBQ9O8PWysB=w2430-h1620-no

There is a lot of extra bits that will not be necessary, all I will need is the solid piece on the left, so as you can tell it will need to be trimmed/clipped quite extensively to do this. I will also need to be able to accurately measure it as precise fitment is important. I will also need to be able to add the gauge pods themselves, so I'll need something that will allow a seamless addition onto my existing render.

Now as for what I have access to so I can edit, and hopefully print a working model (bear with me, I don't know what each piece of software is used for so I'm just going to list everything CAD/Design related that I can use):

Rhinoceros 5

Sketchup, Layout, and Style builder

Solidworks 2014 and 2015

3DS Max, AutoCAD, Maya, Revit (all 2016)

Blender

These are just through my Univ, so also the free/trial versions of whatever else exists out there I have access to as well.

I plan on watching as many how-to videos as I can to complete this, I just have no idea which software to use, or combination thereof, to get my desired results.

Thank you in advance :)

Don't use Revit - that's for Buildings. Rhino... yes but not as mainstream. Solidworks and Inventor would be your best software to use, but most difficult learning curve. AutoCAD could do it. 3DS Max and Maya... so-so. Blender... it's free so why not... it'll certainly get the job done.

This is an Autodesk Inventor or Solidworks project for sure. AutoCAD can do it too.

How to videos will get you so far. If this is a hobby thing then it may be a bit too much, but certainly have at it. Do you have access to a license? If not some of this software is thousands of dollars. Blender is free so maybe start there if a hobbyist.

I'm sure more will chime in.

Blender would probably be your best bet as it is free, the sculpt tools would probably work better for you.

Sketchup is another viable option.

Solidworks/Inventor/Creo/Catia/Fusion/OnShape etc can all do this kind of work but to learn the surfacing processes would take a bit of time.

This looks like it is a fairly large piece... at least compared to a bunch of the 3d printers ive seen. Have you made sure that you can print something that large. I know there are many 3d printing services out there which can accommodate many different sizes, but there are often size restrictions / cost points. It might be worth looking into to make sure there are no hangups when it comes to that point.

Just curious, are you installing a boost gauge to an existing turbo set-up or are you installing the power adder and what type of car?

Don't use Revit - that's for Buildings. Rhino... yes but not as mainstream. Solidworks and Inventor would be your best software to use, but most difficult learning curve. AutoCAD could do it. 3DS Max and Maya... so-so. Blender... it's free so why not... it'll certainly get the job done.

This is an Autodesk Inventor or Solidworks project for sure. AutoCAD can do it too.

How to videos will get you so far. If this is a hobby thing then it may be a bit too much, but certainly have at it. Do you have access to a license? If not some of this software is thousands of dollars. Blender is free so maybe start there if a hobbyist.

I'm sure more will chime in.

I didn't spend much time looking around Solidworks earlier, but I get the feeling it's a full version, or at least a virtual version, since I login through a portal then have access to everything I listed.

Rhino would be a good choice or possibly FormZ, but yeah, Blender is free so I would probably start with that.

Thanks!

Blender would probably be your best bet as it is free, the sculpt tools would probably work better for you.

Sketchup is another viable option.

Solidworks/Inventor/Creo/Catia/Fusion/OnShape etc can all do this kind of work but to learn the surfacing processes would take a bit of time.

I'm in no rush to finish this project so learning Solidworks is an option, but Blender seems to be mentioned a lot.

This looks like it is a fairly large piece... at least compared to a bunch of the 3d printers ive seen. Have you made sure that you can print something that large. I know there are many 3d printing services out there which can accommodate many different sizes, but there are often size restrictions / cost points. It might be worth looking into to make sure there are no hangups when it comes to that point.

The only portion I'll need to print is the left most panel, which at the widest measures 9.5" and the printing restrictions are 12x12x12 so I'm within the size limits.

Just curious, are you installing a boost gauge to an existing turbo set-up or are you installing the power adder and what type of car?

Existing setup, 2014 Fiesta ST. I can get a boost readout from my Cobb Accessport, but I prefer mechanical gauges which is why I want to give this a shot.

Fusion 360 can be good too. I've never used it, but many Inventor users like it.

+1 on the Fusion 360. Any of the NURBS (Rhino, Form-Z, MOI 3D) modelers would be a good choice as well.

+1 on the Fusion 360. Any of the NURBS (Rhino, Form-Z, MOI 3D) modelers would be a good choice as well.

It appears that Fusion 360 will not let me import the file from my 123D Catch render.

Can you open the file in 123D Design? If so you should be able to save it in a format that Fusion 360 can edit. 123D Design can import; .dwg, .dxf, .obj, .sat, STEP and STL files. It can export STL, DWG/DXF, SAT/STEP, X3d and VRML. I don't have Fusion 360 installed at the moment so I can not verify what it can use.

Here's my 2 cents...

Rhinoceros 5 --> OK

Sketchup, Layout, and Style builder --> NO. Best suited for architectural modeling.

Solidworks 2014 and 2015 -->YES but I would add Inventor to the list.

AutoCAD --> maybe if you already know how to use it for 3D modeling and did not know how to use any other mechanical CAD product.

3DS Max, Maya, Blender--> NO. BUilding precise models of mechanical parts is difficult.

Revit (all 2016) --> No. Best suited for architectural modeling.

I suggest you also take a look at On Shape https://www.onshape.com/

It is a web-based parametric solid modeler similar to Solidworks and Inventor but not as fully developed. There is no software to download and install so you can easily try it out. I have modeled a few parts with it that I have also modeled with Inventor and was surprised at how responsive it was although not as feature rich.

~Lee