Question about a draftting with autocad diploma from Penn Foster along with an electr

brite1212

Hello nice to meet everyone. Im taking the online autocad drafting course offered by Penn Foster and I've also signed up for the online electronic technician course offerd by them also in which I will receive a diploma once I complete the course. I'm doing this because I love autocad and electronics but also because I'm hoping that this will prepare me to fill the job of an entry level electrical or electronic engineer. From my brief research it seems like the qualifications for an electrical or electronic engineer's job match those of what I expect to learn from completing both of those courses. My question is- is this a realistic expectation? Or will I actually need an associates or bachlor's degree from a college or technical college? Autocad drafter's make around 35-45 thousand starting off and for electronic or electrical technicians the pay is about the same. But electrical or electronic engineers pay start at around 70-80 thousand a year so I'm definitely considering that as well. Can anyone give me some advice, thanks.

You'll need a four year degree from an accredited college to become an electrical engineer. All you will get from taking the Penn-Foster coursework is a certificate which might qualify you for an entry level drafting position. I'm not even sure that despite their claims to the contrary that they are an accredited educational institute. The state of Oregon sued them on that point and actually won the case against P-F in which they had to pony up a sizeable chunk of change as a penalty.

Bottom line. If you plan on getting a four year degree in either electrical engineering or electronics contact the college of your choice and ask them point blank whether or not they will accept, for credit, any of the courses offered by Penn-Foster. Better to know now than be hit with a big surprise later on down the road. You don't want to waste your time nor your money taking courses that are not transferable.

Edited by ReMark

I would be willing to bet that ReMark single handedly has answered way more Penn-Foster student questions, and much better than all of the" instructors" combined in the lengthy history of the aforementioned paper mill.

If you search Penn-Foster here on the forum, you will quickly understand why I might think that. :beer: