Does Autocad 2006 run on Windows 10 ?

Windsor

As the thread topic asks, would Autocad 2006 version run on Windows 10 or would it have to be Windows 7 ?

Also can anyone advise what specs a laptop would require to run the 2006 version? I realise it's quite old now, but it may be the only option expense wise.

....but it may be the only option expense wise.
What do you mean "expense wise"? AutoCAD 2006 hasn't been currently for sale for a decade now. Do you have an older copy or something?

Autodesk now has desktop licensing which is very inexpensive. You may want to look into it. Or, there's also free and very low cost alternative/clones you can consider. I believe we have a thread listing them all if you do a quick search.

-TZ

Users have gotten many different (read that as "older") versions of AutoCAD to run on Win10. All it takes is time and perseverance and a little knowledge. One workaround would be to use a program called "Longbow" but that would cost $$. Unless you are doing 3D drawings and/or a big user of lisp I'd recommend downloading the FREE 2D CAD program called Draftsight by Dassault Systemes. There is a 32-bit and 64-bit version depending on your OS. Draftsight will also run on Win7 and Win10.

Autodesk now has desktop licensing which is very inexpensive.

Now those are two words I've never heard associated with AutoCAD's new rental options.

At $210/month or $1,344/year - it could be considered a cost of doing business, but I can't see how this is "very inexpensive" - when there are alternatives out there for much less.

If 3D and lisp aren't required a user could opt to rent AutoCAD LT monthly for $45 or take advantage of the current 20% off a yearly rental and pay only $288 U.S.

Another option is an AutoCAD clone such as BricsCAD. BricsCAD Classic (2D) is $550; Pro (adds 3D modeling plus lisp support) is $680 while the Platinum version (adds many other features) is $1020 U.S.

Now those are two words I've never heard associated with AutoCAD's new rental options.

At $210/month or $1,344/year - it could be considered a cost of doing business, but I can't see how this is "very inexpensive" - when there are alternatives out there for much less.

Yeah, good point. But LT is only $45/mo for monthly, or $26/mo if you buy 3 year up front:

http://www.autodesk.com/store/products/autocad-lt

Pretty cheap, depending on what specific needs. A current subscription of AutoCAD LT is just as good if not better than AutoCAD 2006, if you can get by without LISP. I mean, LT still has Tool Palettes, and no clone that I've seen comes close to offering something so simple yet so effective.

I'd say the OP would be better off paying $680 for BricsCAD Pro and getting 3D along with lisp support.

+1

Why rent LT, when for less money you could own a more complete package? :beer: