Plot to PDF Scale Wrong

billydavies21

Miller, 1:20 threw me out. The premises is so large, I can't see how it would fit on A3 at 1:20. one of the walls is 24m so dividing that by 20 to get the 1:20 would make it 120cm long, which is far too big for A3 printing! at 1:150 it makes it 16cm, far better for A3.

Maybe I misunderstood what you were trying to do. All I know is that I have a headache and need a beer!

When I made the PDF I put it on A3

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• billydavies21

• ReMark

• MillerMG

• eldon

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sure if I am doing this right, as I don't work in metric units, but although I have an A2 size sheet I can't quite get the entire property to fit on the page at a scale of 1:100. I'm using a layout with a single viewport. I am not doing this in model space. Unfortunately the dimensions are too small to be readable. This could be fixed in one of two ways. Leave them in model space but change some of the dimension style settings or erase all the dimensions in model space and instead place them in the layout (the method I normally use). A quick test of doing this way confirms the dimensions match those shown.

OK...I could make it fit an A2 sheet if I were to use a paper size of ISO A2 Borderless.

This is what the overall layout looks like. The blue rectangle is the edge of the paper. The magenta rectangle is the single viewport. A viewport is merely a window that let's us see the objects we created back in model space. The red cloud around the area labeled W.C. is where I added a couple of dimensions in my layout not in model space. Note that they agree with your model space dimensions. A closeup is provided below.

Layout_1.jpg

Layout_2.JPG

H2O (3).dwg

Ok, I'm still not quite understanding the point of the viewport, or the difference between viewports and model space.

Thanks for those dimensions. Didn't notice they were missing. I've added them to my DWG, which I've uploaded.

So this still leaves me with my problem. Is it possible to put a 1:100 scale version on A2? I'm obviously not understanding something. Again, putting it down to the fact that I'm trying to run another business at the same time...

Thank you for your help so far ReMark. If you've figured it out and can make the drawing fit to A2, would you mind exporting to PDF and uploading it please? I would be extremely grateful!

There is model space (where your geometry is created and resides) and there is something called a paper space layout. Most people just refer to the latter as "layout". This is where one would place their title block and border. We create viewports (a.k.a. - windows) in our layouts so we can view the objects we created back in model space. Now, many users prefer to place their text and dimensions in model space while some of us prefer to place them in the layout. There are pros and cons to each method. All I can say is if one is going to be using AutoCAD on a regular basis then one should investigate each method and decide for themselves which works best in their given situation.

Think of a layout as being the inside of your house. Think of a viewport as being a window in your house. Everything that exists on the outside of your house is in model space. As you move closer to or further away from the window your view of the outside and the objects you can see will change. The objects (ex. - your car, a person, trees, etc.) don't get smaller or bigger on their own (i.e. - they did not physically change their size).

Your dimensions weren't missing after all; they were just so small they were not easy to read given the method (i.e. - layout) I am using.

Since I don't work in metric I don't know if I have accurately arrived at the correct solution to your problem although as I pointed out I did select an A2 sheet size and have managed to fit (to scale I believe) your drawing within my viewport and ultimately the confines of the paper.

ReMark, thank you for the information. Think I finally understand! Just need play around with it.

As for your PDF., I have no idea if it's correct or not! I can't print A2 to check... Not sure whether to just take a punt and send it or wait for someone else to come to the rescue!

Just found out that they will accept 1:200 as long as everything can be read clearly. So now I'm really at a loss as to what to do...

Well remember now that I placed my dimensions in the layout and not in model space. To correctly dimension the drawing you must utilize osnaps (ex. - endpoint, midpoint, intersection, etc.) and your dimensions must be "associative" meaning that if you stretch a wall in model space so it is longer or shorter the dimension will change right along with it. This is set via Options > User Preferences tab > and checking off the box under the heading Associative Dimensioning.

What size can you print to?

Sorry that I have missed the excitement. I thought that it was all done and dusted :shock:

I reckon that if you plot it on an A2 at 1 to 100, the door swing at the top end will be truncated.

I am reluctant to post a drawing because I regularly plot from Model Space. I do not generally use Paper Space and I do not want to lead you from the straight and narrow.

If you want to plot to check the scale, go to your PDF reader, move the screen view to something that you know the length of, and set the screen view scaling to 100%, and then plot the Current View at Actual Scale.

Oops, I am using the original drawing posted. Back in a minute or three.

Truncated Doorswing.PNG

H2O-A2 at 1 to 100.pdf

I think the OP really wants everything in model space which means the two of you would literally be on the same page. I'm the one confusing everyone by using a layout with a viewport. I also think he would benefit from having the actual DWG file rather than a PDF. What if the council wants to see some changes? Then the OP is forced to come back here and request that someone edit the DWG file then create a new PDF file for him.

Hello! I didn't stop at the chemist but I did stop at the pub! Thank you for the A2 PDF Eldon, it's very much appreciated. As ReMark said, it would be useful to have the DWG in case there are some changes...

I'm sending the PDF to the solicitor, so hopefully he approves it!

Thank you all very much again for your help! I'll endeavour to learn more about AutoCad so I don't get into all this mess in the future.

• 3 weeks later...

H2O Original.dwg

Sorry to drag up a previous issue. The council have now asked for the original plans for comparison. Why they don't already have them is beyond me...

Again, this is super urgent and I still haven't had time to play with AutoCad enough to learn how to do this. If you could provide the same as before, but with the attached DWG Eldon, I would be extremely grateful!

I think you owe eldon a case of beer for going "above and beyond". There's a difference between free help and pulling one's backside out of the fire.

I think you owe eldon a case of beer for going "above and beyond". There's a difference between free help and pulling one's backside out of the fire.

I think you're right! I think I finally managed to figure out how to do it myself now, so this will be the last time I bother you, Eldon!

Thanks again for everyone's help :)