Top Posters In This Topic

• halam

• ReMark

• MillerMG

• RobDraw

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi,

I have a set of files that together make a model, design of a specific civil structure. I placed about 80 pieces of complex shaped steel forms (vendor structures for docking ships) into a seperate xref. The idea of it is to make it faster when these are unloaded. But these items are all unique without being blocks. That causes this file to be over 100 mb. Now, i know that loading / unloading a more smarter created model with use of multiple block definitions would make thing leaner and faster to load.

But i wonder if it for my speed in graphics an cpu would make any difference if i would make them blocks instead of unique elements. Would graphics benefit of blocks (or other smart elements) besides the filesize?

Just wondering.. without doing the testing..

My computer has 16 GB of memory

and I now have made two files for testing.

model v1, no blocks: 85 Mb (all complex bodies)

model v2, with blocks: 4 Mb (about 144 items, 6 different types)

Open DWG: Loading time to open model

model v1 : ca. 60 sec.

model v2 : ca. 14 sec.

When i switch into 3D orbit from v1-2D it starts / ends in..

model v1 : about 25 sec.

model v2 : about 1 sec. (allmost instantly, normal behaviour)

So is asume there is a relation between filesize and the fastness behaviour of display but it doesn't seem staight 1 on 1. Blocks influence the filesize, make it smaller, and therefore display much faster by more degrees . That's for sure. And it make me realize to be carefull with bursting blockdefinitions if there are many parts.

is there anything more that influences graphic performance then just the size of a dwg model? (it's just an open questions..if you like, check the models (edit:i will) attach..

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6-6JB1a0xTcMnFncUlmSW5hMzg/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6-6JB1a0xTcZkcwYkZnUGtESG8/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6-6JB1a0xTcdVhUUFptaWE0MTg/view?usp=sharing

Edited by halam

I bet you say the same thing to your psychiatrist.

Without access to your computer, or Revit, or a copy of one of the drawings in question how else do you expect a person to diagnose the problem? When you take your car to a mechanic does he not ask questions? When you go to the doctor because your ill does he not ask questions? Most people are not clairvoyant nor do they carry around a crystal ball to automatically discern the answer to a problem.

Annnnnddddd I fell out of my desk chair after reading this

Nice to have a audience. What would you say if I was to make third model with all uniquely named blocks. 144. Would that be the way to test blocks?

filesize model v3, all unique blocks: 80 Mb (hmm? did i use overkill? does overkill do something on 3D bodies?)

opening model v3 : ca. 22 sec.

orbit model v3 : still a lot better than model v1, seems to have a possitive effect

Anyways, is there some kind of benchmarks for measuring performance of 3D (/models) ?

• 2 months later...

Now i am the lucky owner of AutoCAD 2017, i thought let's check this 3D speed out with it.

2017 should have been improved in stability and speed for 3D with the new approach.

3D navigation performance boost

Our fall update includes significant improvements in zoom, pan, and 3D orbit operations in commonly used visual styles. Yup, that means reduced lag time when navigating around your 3D models."

http://blogs.autodesk.com/autocad/autocad-2017-fall-update/

model v1 : about 25 sec.

model v2 : about 1 sec. (allmost instantly, normal behaviour)

>2017

model v1 : less then 1 sec. (the glitching is gone.. what is it anyway?)

model v2 : no delay in experience.

!! Good work improving the core Autodesk !!

2016-10-18_09-03-47.gif