Annotative text

RemcoWeetink

Anyone knows the problem that the drawing is slower when you used annotative text.

In the past I have had problems. i would like to try it again but would like to know whether this is a known issue.

I haven't heard of any problems with system performance that are specifically attributed to the use of annotative text.

What are your system specs?

Is your install of 2016 up-to-date re: service packs?

Performance issues relating to AutoCAD 2016 and AutoCAD LT 2016 addressed by service pack 1:

AutoCAD 2016 Issues.jpg

Annotative items are RAM and video card intense. If your system is limited in these two aspects, it will show. The more scales assigned to annotative text, the more math crunching happens.

Interesting. Can you cite a source for that information? I'd like to read up on the subject.

Really? What, am I speaking at the RNC? :rofl: Actually I plagiarized it all from an Arthur Fonzarelli soliloquy in a 30 year old Happy Days episode. Ehhhy.:P

Just personal experience with a tiny little on board video processor and some limited comparative testing. That and educated guessing based on 20 plus years designing GUI program code. I suppose I should have included those caveats in my statement.

The following are experiences and opinions.

I have been able to pare 12 meg and considerable lag from a residential house drawing by switching from annotative dimensions to 1/8" high paperspace dimensions.

I had assumed that for every annotative object, AutoCad has to determine the current view scale and calculate its display size per the current scale to properly display the object on the screen. I now don't think that is true, because with the right toggle toggled, one can see annotative objects displayed in all assigned scales at once. But, the number crunching does have to happen at least once with each annotative object.

Extrapolating either case over hundreds of annotative dimensions in a floor plan still means slow. The stored annotative data has to be read out to the video display matrix every time one regens, changes from model to paper, or from one layout to another, or when one changes the current view scale in modelspace. There probably is still some data crunching going on there because I have non-annotative, dense drawings including 12 dimension styles for different scales that are exponentially faster to manipulate.

Believe me, i have time to make a lunch (figuratively speaking) when moving from one layout to another if I use annotative dimensions. The more viewports with different scales on a layout, the perceptibly slower it is. I have seen annotative dimensions populate the screen mimicking the "wave" at a football stadium.

Apparently once figured out, AutoCad stores the annotative view information to re-display later, because subsequent visits to previously viewed layouts seems much faster. But, closing the drawing empties out the data space. It is only kept for run time.

As long as I am stuck with a sub-standard computer, I am going back to paperspace annotation.

I've been a long term advocate of placing text and dimensions in one's layout and not in model space so you are speaking to the choir. On the other hand I have been unable to find any definitive proof for your assertions re: annotative text and slow performance of AutoCAD thus the reason for my question.

Twelve dimension styles? We have one.

Sub-standard computer? Maybe it's time for an upgrade. That onboard GPU is probably a big part of your computer's sub par performance.

I've been a long term advocate of placing text and dimensions in one's layout and not in model space so you are speaking to the choir. On the other hand I have been unable to find any definitive proof for your assertions re: annotative text and slow performance of AutoCAD thus the reason for my question.
Borrow a chug-along computer.

Twelve dimension styles? We have one.
Now I have one on my home computer. Well, two identical styles, one annotative and one for paperspace. At work I am forbidden to use either one.

Sub-standard computer? Maybe it's time for an upgrade. That onboard GPU is probably a big part of your computer's sub par performance.
Yes. The limited capability is my whole point. I have experienced annotative scaling with close or better to recommended spec's, and there's a world of difference.