Another 3D fillet question

Payton114

Hey everyone, my first post, excited to be here.

My company needs me to design a 3D spatula based off an actual model I have in front of me. My main background is architectural engineering, so this is a bit different for me.

Anyway, I've got it nearly complete (using many tips I read in the forums here). However, I'm trying to smooth out the edges a little bit and make handle round); and nothing seems to be working. I've used the 'fillet edge' tool, tried setting to chain or normal, and nothing seems to work. Typical "Could not find acceptable sequence of capping faces to trim blend face" message pops up.

Thanks for any help.

3D spatula.dwg

What radius did you specify for your fillet?

If you wanted the handle to be round why didn't you design it that way from the beginning? Aren't you creating more work for yourself by making in rectangular? Just how much of the handle should be round?

I had tried many different radiuses just to even get it to work.

.4" or so around the handle and I think any where from .05" to .15" around the neck and the head. Nothing worked.

And this is my first run at something like this. My main background is architectural, and this is closer to mechanical. I had drafted the front profile and side profile, press-pulled (or extruded) each one to its proper size, then used the solid intersect command to mold it to it's current shape. And I wanted the handle to be near smooth and rounded all the way around (i.e. no straight lines).

The head/neck radii are too large thus the reason the fillet command failed.

So, in other words, you do not want a round handle you just want to "round off" (i.e. - fillet) the handle. Is that correct?

The head/neck radii are too large thus the reason the fillet command failed.

So, in other words, you do not want a round handle you just want to "round off" (i.e. - fillet) the handle. Is that correct?

I went back and tried on my file to fillet the the spatula head to .03" like you did, and it still popped up with the error message. Did you have to select every edge around the head, top and bottom, to make the command work? Or did you select each edge individually?

And yes, I guess that would of been a better way to put it.

I tend to pick my edges individually and zoomed in when I do since if even one edge is left out the command will fail. I have my doubts you'll be able to apply a fillet with a 0.4 radius to the handle. Some of your geometry is just too tight.

Ahh, see that's where I was messing up. I must have been missing and edge or two when making it.

I was designing it for another co-worker so he could bring it into his Maya program. I showed what I had and he said he could work with that; he'd be able to edit and smooth out the edges to whatever our boss desires. But I still want to learn the proper way, in case they need me to draft another project. So I'll keep working at it.

Now within the FILLETEDGE command, did you keep it set on edge, or did you change it to one of the other two? I thought I saw you post on another forum that you did the chain selection.

Welcome to CADTutor Payton! :)

Never fear, ReMark will get you back on the tracks. :beer:

Always read your commandline prompts, as they will open your eyes to available options and unexpected new approaches. :|