Calculating a volume from a set of 3d polylines

JEEP

Hi guys and girls,

first time posting.

I'm trying to calculate a precise volume of sediment that will be added to a beach. That's called beach nourishment. I know it's weird, I'm a geomorphologist.

For now, I have drawn six 3d polylines that represents beach profiles. These 3d polylines were drawn from sets of points with x,y and z coordinates. They all have the same reference. Profiles are apart from each other by about 5 meters.

Next step I have done is to draw new profile (3d polylines), with the same x and y coordinates but with a higher z value. These new 3d polylines represent the amount of sediment that will be added to the beach.

Finally, I linked all those 3d polylines with each other to create a kind of solid. It's a very irregular solid.

My question: Is it possible to calculate a volume (m³ of feet³) within these polylines like I would do with the function Area for a 2d polyline?

The .dwg is attached to this message.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks a lot

Beach nourishment_R.1.dwg

1 If you have civ3d then its a button press.

2 Other civil software again button press.

3 There is some free software out there.

4 Find some one with civ3d and get volume.

5 May be able to make a solid from two surfaces.

Looking at your dwg your second surface is incorrect it should be smooth and hips and hollows removed.

Yes you can use end area and get a reasonable answer (a1+a2)/2 * length.

Thanks BIGAL,

You are right about the second surface. It was a test. The new profiles will be much smoother.

Tell me if I'm wrong. In Autocad (not Civil3d), I cannot create a solid from irregular 3dpolylines apart from extruding one of the polylines.

I absolutely need Civil 3d if i want to calculate the precise volume of an irregular solid with a Autodesk software.

Am I correct?

Thanks a lot for your help!!