Parametric relationship to depth of extrusion?

ColinPearson

hELLO FOLKS :)

I'd like to set a chamfer to be 1/2 the extrusion depth of an object depth on one of the faces. Can I do this parametrically? I don't see this depth in the parameter dialog on the Manage tab. Also, since the depth of extrusion is not a sketched feature, I don't see a way to apply a driven dimension which I was hoping would have a name like "d03" that I could reference in the chamfer dialog box. Any ideas? Thanks!!!

Pretty simple, when you use the extrusion command type in HEIGHT=3.00 this will name the parameter for easier use. Whenever you use extrusion it creates a distance value and taper value (0.0 deg). You can then open Manage > Parameters to view/rename/edit the values. Setting the chamfer to be parametric is just HEIGHT/2.

Capture.jpg

Capture2.jpg

Capture3.jpg

OK now that is cool. Thanks kpyoung333 for your (continued) help! These are things that I know what kind of functionality I want, or at least have agood idea of what I'm looking for IV to do, just not sure how to make it do what I want yet. Thanks so much for your help!!!

While in the Chamfer command pick the down arrow and a choice will be Show Dimensions, you can pick on the part, then pick on the dim, and continue from there.

Thnaks rkent - that was another thing I was looking for... how to show dimension names that are not associated with your current sketch. Appreciate your help!