How to shrinkwrap objects with Polyline?

I have a floor layout drawing detailing multiple rooms that have been already polylined for area calculation.

Is is possible to select the polylines of 6 or 7 rooms and create new polyline outlining the area of rooms.

This may be also refereed as Shrinkwrap or ...

There is no "Shrinkwrap" command in AutoCAD.

I think you can accomplish what you want via the BOUNDARY command and a little bit of creative thinking. Someone asked a similar type question (creating an outline of a group of irregular shaped hatches) earlier this week. I'll see if I can locate the thread.

OK....a link to thread. http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?99041-Merged-Hatch-Boundary-Problem&highlight=boundary

My solution can be seen in post #8.

Hi ReMark,

Thanks for your help.

I had a go with the described by you method but it appears it only works on objects that are physically touching or overlapping each other.

I am attaching a dwg that best describes what I am trying to achieve.

There are multiple rooms polylined individually, converted to an individual block (not sure why) with area attributes. I would like to find out if I can select lets say 7 or 8 or the rooms and create one new polyline, outlining everything. In other words the new polyline would mark the Department boudary. The problem here is that the single room polylines are not touching each other neither overlap.

Any ideas?

Sample.dwg

Yep, there has to be a monkey wrench in every problem. While my idea would work (with a slight tweak) in some areas in others it wouldn't work at all. I'm stumped.

I believe I found what you are looking for. But I have not tested it on your particular problem. Funny though as I'm sure I checked Lee Mac's website when I was attempting to help out in the other thread I linked to above.

OK....What you need to do is jump on over to Lee Mac's website and download/test his Outline Objects lisp routine. This is a link to his website. Note that in the program description he specifically mentions the word "shrinkwrap". How I missed this program before I have no idea. I hope it solves your problem. Report back with the result as I would be most interested in hearing. Good luck.

http://www.lee-mac.com/outlineobjects.html

Edited by ReMark

Thanks ReMark,

I will try your remedy and report back.

Lee Mac's website keeps comming up regulary and indeed it is extremely usefull to all cad operators.

Thanks for your assistance.

Sorry ReMark,

It did not work.

This is no different to the boundary command. It outlines individual rooms/ closed polylines but not the total area.

Any other sugestions?

Yes. One. Download and install the 30-day trial version of AutoCAD Architecture. Of course this would assume that the Shrinkwrap command in the program would work given your special circumstances. The only other idea that comes to mind would be to hire a lisp guru to write a program specific to your needs. This is not something I see someone doing free of charge.

Right,

I guess there is no fix yet that anybody has needed.

This drawing (attached) is produced by professional surveyor company. The area surveyed had been polylined and cataloged as per individual rooms/ polylines.

Can anybody fugure out how they created the polylines (other than physically tracing) and why would they convert to individual blocks with attributes.

There has got to be an easy way to automate this or method of doing this quickly. Has anybody come accross such work and if so can anybody describe to me the process of doing it.

Thanks

Sample 2.dwg

Instead of wishing and hoping for an easy solution you should start looking into the two options I suggested previously unless time is of no concern.

• 4 years later...
On 02/12/2016 at 10:24, ReMark said:

There is no "Shrinkwrap" command in AutoCAD.

I think you can accomplish what you want via the BOUNDARY command and a little bit of creative thinking. Someone asked a similar type question (creating an outline of a group of irregular shaped hatches) earlier this week. I'll see if I can locate the thread.

OK....a link to thread. http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?99041-Merged-Hatch-Boundary-Problem&highlight=boundary

My solution can be seen in post #8.

Hi ReMark

I am trying to find this link to learn about Boundaty and / or Shrinkwrap lisp program.

your link doesnt seem to work.

Shrinkwrap is in some versions such as CIV3D but not plain Autocad. 

Maybe just draw a pline around objects then do BPOLY pick point inside it will hopefully make a new pline your boundary.

image.png.f788cafac9f3db824d5cc48a3863f847.png

Edited by BIGAL