Derive body at timestamp?

Enfiel3D

Hello everyone!

I normally use NX, but sometimes I need to work with Inventor as well. I now have a question - is it possible to associatively derive body from one part into another at given timestamp? For example, I have a cylinder to which chamfers are applied. I need to create an associative copy of that cylinder - but before the chamfers are applied to it - in another part.

In NX I would siply pick a checkbox that enable copy at given timestamp, or make a copy of a body in a feature tree and link it to another part. None of this seems to work in Inventor. Does any technique exist that I am not aware of? I understand that I can roll back source part tree, derive it and break a link, but I need an associative copy. Any ideas?

Hmm. No I don't think Inventor can do that. Two alternative strategies could be to derive the part then use 'Delete face' to remove the chambers (or BIM Simplification 'Auto)

Or

Create the base feature, then derive, then create the chamfers.

i can't recall off hand cause i haven't gotten back into inventor yet(i will very soon), but a derived part in Solidworks is done by using the "save bodies" feature. It puts a feature in the timeline so you can add things like Chamfers after the fact. Any changes made before the feature in the tree affect the downstream part but anything before doesn't. Inventor 2011 was the last i used and i can't recall if it had this. What i do remember is that i was able to drive models with excel and configure them. You could make a version in the file without the chamfer feature maybe.