Label Contours That Are XREF In

MillerMG

Hey Everyone,

Hope everyone is doing well. I was leery on posting this but I feel like the whole point of this forum is to share knowledge so hopefully I can be more efficent at my job.

So, lets get started. I have to label contours that are in model space. I know that Civil 3D allows you to label contours that are in a surface but is there a way to label just regular polylines that are an XREF? The way that I currently do it is run the POLYLINE command snap to the contour, look at the properties to get the elevation, edit my text to the appropriate elevation, run my much appreciated LEE MAC LISP of Align Text to Curve and then I'm done. Done with ONE! Is there a way to expedite this without creating a surface? As always, any and all comments/questions are always appreciated.

Regards,

Miller

Sounds like you are doing it the best manual way possible.

It could be automated some more with some lisp (or other) code, but why not just build a surface and use the tools you already have?

You can label the surface contours through the xref.

It could be automated some more with some lisp (or other) code, but why not just build a surface and use the tools you already have?

You can label the surface contours through the xref.

So, my boss really hates Civil 3D and doesn't like how it operates. Therefore, I have to build everything in a "Civil" Baseplan then export to a regular type of autocad without any Civil styles or settings. Then I just have a regular baseplan without any Civil 3D objects. Then my XREF does not have any surfaces in it. If I were to load the surface into the XREF would it allow me to use annotate and add labels to surface even though its XREF? That would be pretty cool but unfortunetly I don't think he will allow me to bring in the surface.

Side Note to Admin: If y'all don't mind. Can you leave this post in this forum? I would like to keep it here instead of Civil 3D because I wasn't really looking for a Civil answer because I can't use Civil in this situation.

You could drag a fence line using lisp over the contours and check every crossing point and write text which is the Z value of the pline. Pretty sure has been asked before. Do a bit of searching, re-post if no luck may have time over the week end, its meant to rain. I know I have something from years ago but have to find it at home.

Export the contours
 at point  X=272245.685  Y=5788861.197  Z=   13.750
         at point  X=272245.687  Y=5788861.192  Z=   13.750
         at point  X=272245.699  Y=5788861.164  Z=   13.750
         at point  X=272245.707  Y=5788861.146  Z=   13.750

My man BIGAL! Thank you very much for your time. I have searched with minimal luck. I did find out the answer to my question to RKMc. It is possible to label the surface through an XREF. The labeling reads right thru the XREF...just posted on accident... Anyway, that was really cool but unfortunately there is no way for me to be able to bring in the surface because he doesn't want the file sizes too big and making the files take forever to open. I do have to apologize though BIGAL, I don't understand your code boss man. Hate to say, but that is out of my league.

Anyway, that was really cool but unfortunately there is no way for me to be able to bring in the surface because he doesn't want the file sizes too big and making the files take forever to open.

How large of a surface are we talking about here, in the 100MB range?

A possible other way as you have civil 3d http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-civil-3d-forum/how-to-label-3d-polyline/td-p/3500616

What I was talking about was dragging a line over the plines and writing text with z value, like rkmcswain but if they are massive you will be there all day, do you just need a few locations ?

Just got back into the office. Going to get a few things finished up and will check the last few posts. Thank you very much for taking the time out of your day to try and help me out. BRB

How large of a surface are we talking about here, in the 100MB range?

Its actually quite a small surface. Its only like 73 acres I believe. My baseplan with my surfaces, profiles, and alignments and is only 14MB.

A possible other way as you have civil 3d http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-civil-3d-forum/how-to-label-3d-polyline/td-p/3500616

What I was talking about was dragging a line over the plines and writing text with z value, like rkmcswain but if they are massive you will be there all day, do you just need a few locations ?

Ohhh, okay. I am just about to check your link out.

One each sheet (which is about 12) I have to label anywhere from 8 to 20 labels depending on the size of the plan view. It wasn't like it was taking all day. I just wanted to see if there was a different method to labeling them which would be quicker then the way that I am currently doing it.

I REALLY want to text this out! I think this is the EXACT answer I was looking for. Once again, You are the man BIGAL! I am going to go try it out. I had no idea that it was even possible.

DING DING DING! Well....it ended up being a Civil 3D answer hahahaha.. :facepalm:

BIGAL! That was the exact answer that I was looking for. I never would have thought that it would have allowed me to label a polyline's elevation thru an XREF. Thank you very much!!

ADMIN NOTE: If y'all need to move this, I completely understand.

Regards,

Miller

If you have to do multiples next to each other it may be possible to do all in one go rather than pick pick etc. I will try to find some time.

;this is close ran out of time
(setq pt1 (getpoint))
(setq pt2 (getpoint pt1 ))
(setq ss (ssget "F" (list pt1 pt2)))
(command "_.AeccAddFeatureLineLabels")
(repeat (setq x (sslength ss))
(command (cdr (assoc 10 (entget (ssname ss (setq x (- x 1)))))))
)