Quick LISP to put # of objects selected to the clipboard?

eyeofnewt555

Let's say I have 6 objects selected. Is there a lisp I can run that will copy "6" to the clipboard?

This is part of how I count/label blocks and I'd like to reduce human error where possible.

And before anyone asks why I don't use block count, just trust that my method works better for me.

Thanks!

I don't think its possible to copy to clipboard something else than text via lisp,

due what I've seen being posted so far by MP here (or/and maybe Lee Mac).

BUT, some thinking outside the box:

-It would be possible to collect the list of object's handles

-Copy the handles to clipboard

-Retrieve the objects from the clipboard data

Not sure what to do with them after that o:) ... maybe someone else has other thought to offer.

I don't think its possible to copy to clipboard something else than text via lisp

I believe the OP is only looking to copy text to clipboard via text.

I use DOS_LIB to copy text to clipboard.

(dos_clipboard [string])

Now lets say I wanted whatever I have selected to also change color once I run this lisp. How would I go about integrating this small routine for changing color into the lisp you've written? I tried it a couple different ways and couldn't get it.

Color change component:

(Defun C:Y ( / change)
(setq ss1 (ssget))
 (command "change" ss1 "" "p" "c" "2" "")
(princ)
)

Lisp to add it into:

(defun C:test ( / SS )
 (and
   (setq SS (vl-some 'ssget (list "_I" nil)))
   (_SetClipBoardText (itoa (sslength SS)))
 )
 (princ)
)
(defun _SetClipBoardText ( text / htmlfile result )

;;  Caller's sole responsibility is to pass a
   ;;  text string. Anything else? Pie in face.

;;  Attribution: Reformatted version of
   ;;  post by XShrimp at theswamp.org.
   ;;
   ;;  See http://tinyurl.com/2ngf4r.

(setq result
       (vlax-invoke
           (vlax-get
               (vlax-get
                   (setq htmlfile (vlax-create-object "htmlfile"))
                  'ParentWindow
               )
              'ClipBoardData
           )
          'SetData
           "Text"
           text
       )
   )

(vlax-release-object htmlfile)

text

)

Thanks for any help!

Worked like a charm! Thank you so much!

The whole magic is from Michael Puckett's code. ;)

EDIT:

Try

(defun C:test ( / SS )
 (and
   (setq SS (vl-some 'ssget (list "_I" nil)))
   (not (command "_.CHANGE" SS "" "p" "c" "2" ""))
   (_SetClipBoardText (itoa (sslength SS)))
 )
 (princ)
)

And be careful, because it works with implied selection (if you already selected something, and run the command-call).

Thanks Grrr! Unfortunately, it's giving me:

"Point or option keyword required.

; error: Function cancelled

Specify change point or [Properties]:"

I'm definitely selecting first and then running the command. Not sure if I'm doing something else wrong though.

I believe its because of the command-call that behaves differently whether the selection is implied or you are prompted for selection.

However its achievable with a "PutIndexColor" subfunction I suggested in a recently-created-related thread:

[b][color=BLACK]([/color][/b]defun C:test [b][color=FUCHSIA]([/color][/b] / SS i [b][color=FUCHSIA])[/color][/b]
 [b][color=FUCHSIA]([/color][/b]and
   [b][color=NAVY]([/color][/b]setq SS [b][color=MAROON]([/color][/b]ssget [color=#2f4f4f]"_:L-I"[/color][b][color=MAROON])[/color][/b][b][color=NAVY])[/color][/b]
   [b][color=NAVY]([/color][/b]_SetClipBoardText [b][color=MAROON]([/color][/b]itoa [b][color=GREEN]([/color][/b]sslength SS[b][color=GREEN])[/color][/b][b][color=MAROON])[/color][/b][b][color=NAVY])[/color][/b]
   [b][color=NAVY]([/color][/b]repeat [b][color=MAROON]([/color][/b]setq i [b][color=GREEN]([/color][/b]sslength SS[b][color=GREEN])[/color][/b][b][color=MAROON])[/color][/b]
     [b][color=MAROON]([/color][/b]PutIndexColor [b][color=GREEN]([/color][/b]ssname SS [b][color=BLUE]([/color][/b]setq i [b][color=RED]([/color][/b]1- i[b][color=RED])[/color][/b][b][color=BLUE])[/color][/b][b][color=GREEN])[/color][/b] 2[b][color=MAROON])[/color][/b]
   [b][color=NAVY])[/color][/b]
 [b][color=FUCHSIA])[/color][/b]
 [b][color=FUCHSIA]([/color][/b]princ[b][color=FUCHSIA])[/color][/b]
[b][color=BLACK])[/color][/b]

[b][color=BLACK]([/color][/b]defun PutIndexColor [b][color=FUCHSIA]([/color][/b] e col / enx [b][color=FUCHSIA])[/color][/b]
 [b][color=FUCHSIA]([/color][/b]and 
   [b][color=NAVY]([/color][/b]eq 'ENAME [b][color=MAROON]([/color][/b]type e[b][color=MAROON])[/color][/b][b][color=NAVY])[/color][/b] [b][color=NAVY]([/color][/b]eq 'INT [b][color=MAROON]([/color][/b]type col[b][color=MAROON])[/color][/b][b][color=NAVY])[/color][/b] [b][color=NAVY]([/color][/b]<= 0 col 256[b][color=NAVY])[/color][/b]
   [b][color=NAVY]([/color][/b]setq enx [b][color=MAROON]([/color][/b]vl-remove-if [b][color=GREEN]([/color][/b]function [b][color=BLUE]([/color][/b]lambda [b][color=RED]([/color][/b]x[b][color=RED])[/color][/b] [b][color=RED]([/color][/b]= 420 [b][color=PURPLE]([/color][/b]car x[b][color=PURPLE])[/color][/b][b][color=RED])[/color][/b][b][color=BLUE])[/color][/b][b][color=GREEN])[/color][/b] [b][color=GREEN]([/color][/b]entget e[b][color=GREEN])[/color][/b][b][color=MAROON])[/color][/b][b][color=NAVY])[/color][/b] [color=#8b4513]; remove the true color if present[/color]
   [b][color=NAVY]([/color][/b]or
     [b][color=MAROON]([/color][/b]and [b][color=GREEN]([/color][/b]assoc 62 enx[b][color=GREEN])[/color][/b] [b][color=GREEN]([/color][/b]entmod [b][color=BLUE]([/color][/b]subst [b][color=RED]([/color][/b]cons 62 col[b][color=RED])[/color][/b] [b][color=RED]([/color][/b]assoc 62 enx[b][color=RED])[/color][/b] enx[b][color=BLUE])[/color][/b][b][color=GREEN])[/color][/b][b][color=MAROON])[/color][/b]
     [b][color=MAROON]([/color][/b]entmod [b][color=GREEN]([/color][/b]append enx [b][color=BLUE]([/color][/b]list [b][color=RED]([/color][/b]cons 62 col[b][color=RED])[/color][/b][b][color=BLUE])[/color][/b][b][color=GREEN])[/color][/b][b][color=MAROON])[/color][/b]

[b][color=BLACK]([/color][/b]defun _SetClipBoardText [b][color=FUCHSIA]([/color][/b] text / htmlfile result [b][color=FUCHSIA])[/color][/b]

[color=#8b4513];;  Caller's sole responsibility is to pass a[/color]
 [color=#8b4513];;  text string. Anything else? Pie in face.[/color]

[color=#8b4513];;  Attribution: Reformatted version of[/color]
 [color=#8b4513];;  post by XShrimp at theswamp.org.[/color]
 [color=#8b4513];;[/color]
 [color=#8b4513];;  See http://tinyurl.com/2ngf4r.[/color]

[b][color=FUCHSIA]([/color][/b]setq result
   [b][color=NAVY]([/color][/b]vlax-invoke
     [b][color=MAROON]([/color][/b]vlax-get
       [b][color=GREEN]([/color][/b]vlax-get
         [b][color=BLUE]([/color][/b]setq htmlfile [b][color=RED]([/color][/b]vlax-create-object [color=#2f4f4f]"htmlfile"[/color][b][color=RED])[/color][/b][b][color=BLUE])[/color][/b]
         'ParentWindow
       [b][color=GREEN])[/color][/b]
       'ClipBoardData
     [b][color=MAROON])[/color][/b]
     'SetData
     [color=#2f4f4f]"Text"[/color]
     text
 [b][color=FUCHSIA]([/color][/b]vlax-release-object htmlfile[b][color=FUCHSIA])[/color][/b]
 text