Total Beginer, have a ? about KeyCad

scot w.

I am totally new to this CAD stuff. I'm trying to draw some Automotive emblems to have them laser engraved and the engraver told me he would cost WAY too much to take the emblem, sticker and any of the material I gave him to convert them into a CAD line drawing for the laser printer so he gave me ( KEY CAD ) by Softkey with the book.

Here is the question: I have completed a drawing and I can not for the life of me figure out how to fill the letters in solid Black!! The book tells what the buttons due but it does not say how to do it. :x Iv'e tried EVERYTHING!

All I want is a very simple basic software that I can just do line drawings in solid black..

PLEASE HELP!

Scot W.

Is there a Fill command?

If not, is there a Hatch command? If so, can you fill the letters with a dense enough hatch to accomplish the affect you are looking for?

Did you search the Internet for Key CAD tutorials and/or a forum similar to this.

AutoCAD LT can do line drawings in black. Still not a cheap program unless you can locate/buy a used copy.

What OS are you running this program under? Windows 95?

I'd suggest getting a better grade of CAD program. Check this site for recommendations. Some are freebies while others are low cost.

What OS are you running this program under? Windows 95?

I'd suggest getting a better grade of CAD program. Check this site for recommendations. Some are freebies while others are low cost.

It's Windows XP. I was wondering if there is a better basic entry level program out there for free that I could download. It's only for line drawings and sending them Via E-mail.

Scot W.

Link to free CAD software:
ReMark thanks for your help with the free links. I think having more up-dated software would be the best bet. This is WAY too old.... But it was free and a start anyways..

Wich one of those free dowloads would suit me the best for just designing some line drawings that I can easily send by e-mail?

Thank You!

Scot W.

Well Scot it would help if I knew how serious about CAD you are. If this is just a one time thing then you definitely want to go with a freebie program. If your interest is long term and you're going to do a lot of drawings then it might be a good idea to pick up a more robust CAD program.

What kinds of drawings will you be making?

Well i'm serious about making several drawings because I will be selling these as Laser engraved.

Here is a example of what they look like done.

ashtraycovers.jpg