Trim Window Selection Problem

Merve

I have a problem with trim command. When im in the trim command, window selection doesn't work. Only crossing window. I've been trying everything that i can like PICKFIRST, PICKDRAG etc.

I searched it online but there is no solution. :(:(:(

Welcome to CADTutor Merve. :)

That is just how the TRIM command works, it is not a problem due to a system variable setting.

Have you tried using the TRIM ALL option, that is the one I usually use, but yes, you will need to select the items sequentially.

The system variable which does affect the TRIM command is shown in the screenshot, but it won't help you with your perceived problem.

Be sure to follow the commandline prompts closely, is usually a good rule of thumb.

edgemode system variable options.JPG

Thank you Dadgad:)

i usually use "trim all" option. What i try to tell you is more complicated. There is two option for selection in Autocad.

+In Crossing mode, you select all objects or sub-objects within the region, plus any objects or sub-objects crossing the boundaries of the region.

+In Window mode, you select only the objects or sub-objects within the selection.

i can't use window selection in trim command.

It was possible in older versions of Autocad (i.e Autocad 2004). I used to think that it is not possible anymore but couple days ago, i realized that my friend still doing it. Our "System variables" and Autocad Versions are the same by the way.

i hope i can explain my self this time.

When using trim command you can ONLY use window boundary when selecting the cutting object/s - edges will be trimmed depending on the direction of your selection window

Part of the issue may be that a "Crossing Window" only works when done in a Right to Left direction with ANY command.

When selecting with a Left to Right window, (Inclusive Window) only those objects completely enclosed by the window are selected. When selecting with a Right to Left window, (Crossing Window) any object with any part of it inside the window (crossed by) is selected. I just tried both types of windowing with both the trim command started first, and with the selection done first. All combinations work for me. even non-selected objects crossed by selected objects will trim as they should.

The only difference I saw was that when executing either window AFTER starting the trim command, grips DO NOT show, but selected objects do highlight. Perhaps your selection options are set not to highlight? Then, in the absence of grips showing, selected objects would appear as though they are not selected.

EDGEMODE = 0 in all cases.

Edited by Dana W

Options displayed on the command line are:

Select object to trim or shift-select to extend or

[Fence/Crossing/Project/Edge/eRase/Undo]:

Fence is the option I use most often. I also still use the Express Tool EXTRIM to quickly trim outside or inside.

Logically if you could window a line segment to trim how would AutoCAD know which end to trim? With a crossing selection you are both selecting the line and the end to trim.

Window selection does work for selecting objects to trim/extend and does not require that the entire object be selected, unlike other uses for window selection. It works just like a crossing window, from what I can see. I cannot find any variables that affect this behavior.

What re you trying to trim? I have never had a problem with the trim command. Could you post a picture of what you are having trouble trimming.

• 2 years later...

G'day everyone,

New here but a similar problem. After 15+ years of AutoCAD use, trim has started behaving oddly. Please see the attached gif.

Normal selection will not trim a very simple polyline, but window selection will. Note the little icons near the cursor. Sometimes the window selection will not work properly either.

AutoCAD 2018

Any thoughts?

884450186_GIFTrim.thumb.gif.8379b08ab8a0ebe998c9827f3c5d0020.gif

Edited by Ncik

Is it possible that the polylines are at different elevations? Is it possible that they are on different layers, and one is locked? Have you used Repair?

On 8/9/2019 at 5:25 AM, SLW210 said:

I'm not having that problem here on AutoCAD 2018.

Same here. Works fine in 2018. I think we need more information or maybe a sample drawing to test, although I can't think of any variables or circumstances that would cause this issue.

When you click on the line to trim and it fails, do you get any message at the command line about why it can't trim the line?

My WAG would be video card or driver. Took me a few tries to find a driver for 2018 on Windows 7 that didn't have quirks like that.

A little more information on your Computer, OS, Graphics, etc. Maybe a drawing that does this, just to eliminate things.

• 8 months later...

I had a similar problem to the OP where I wasn't getting the window crossing (only a lasso type thing).

It is down to the mode being changed to quick mode instead of standard mode...

When in the trim command you will see the option for mOde.

Hit O [enter] and you will see options for Quick and Standard.

Hit S [enter] for Standard.

A bit late posting a reply, but it might help others...

Edited by eirCAD
typo

@Ncik

I see this happen when the polyline is in several parallel segments, possibly layered back over itself.

Can't tell if it's the case here as no grips visible but might be.