Creating a solid from 3D Faces

tazzzz

Hello,

I tried to create a solid using 3dpoly but for some reason I am not able to transform this closed 3dpolylines into surfaces.

Then I just created 3dfaces.

How do I generate a solid using all of this 3dfaces?

Thank you

What exactly are you trying to create that first tried using a 3Dpolyline then switched to a 3DFace?

While I am waiting on a reply, and without the benefit of knowing/seeing what you are attempting to create, I will suggest one possible solution. Convert the 3Dfaces to surfaces using CONVTOSURFACE then use the SURFSCULPT command to generate the required solid. Caveat: the surfaces better be watertight otherwise SURFSCULPT will fail.

Still no reply?

OK. Here is a second possible solution that I thought of. Find and use the F2S lisp routine created by Bill Gillis. It is described thusly...

F2S.lsp creates a single ACIS solid from selected 3dfaces, touching or not

If neither one works then you did something wrong and I have no other solutions to offer other than to recreate the object from scratch using a different method.

Edited by ReMark

It seems I did everything you mention in your post. Convtosurface didn't work with 3dpoly (or randomly worked), also using surfsculpt doesn't work with the surfaces created from 3dfaces.

I tried F2S and the solid created is not even close to how the solid should look like.

I thought that Convtosurface will turn all the closed 3dpolylines into surfaces, but as I said It is not consistent (only surfaces parallel with X plane were created). Any idea why this is happening?

You want me to diagnose the problem without the benefit of seeing a drawing? No can do. Attach a copy of the drawing to your next post. If the file size is too large then upload it to a file sharing website like DropBox then post a link to it here.

After the loft I created the top and bottom surfaces using lines and the EDGESURF command. Then it was a matter of just using SURFSCULPT to create the solid.

Edited by ReMark

• 2 weeks later...
If SURFSCULPT doesn't work with separated surfaces, try before the command UNION in order to obtain a single unified surface.

But the end result has to be a "watertight" surface otherwise SURFSCULPT will not work.