In model space. I have an architectural drawing with limits of 88',68'. I know the DSF is 96 and yes I know the scale is 1/8" - 1'. BUT how do you figure out that its 1/8" -1' only knowing the DSF and limits?

The scale factor you ultimately use is going to be based on how large or small your object is and what size paper you will be printing to. Just to be clear, you are using a paper space layout and at least one viewport to which you will assign a scale. Is that correct?

Without actually checking using AutoCAD I'm guessing your 88'x68' building will not fit on a 8 1/2x11 sheet of paper (landscape orientation) and still leave room for a title block and border. You'd most likely have to go to 11x17 size. If you bump the viewport scale up to 1/4"=1' then you'll need to use a 18x24 sheet size but once again I'm pretty sure it will not allow you enough room for a titleblock and border.

Look at it this way. 1/8"=1' is the same as saying 1"=8'. A sheet size of 8.5x11 could theoretically accommodate a rectangle 8*(8.5)x8*(11) or 68x88 but that rectangle would have to be drawn on the very edge of the paper which no cad drafter would ever conceive of doing.

Re: LIMITS....hardly ever crosses my mind. Can't even recall the last time I set limits in a drawing.

Edited by ReMark