Absolute beginner here with many questions

Skiddy

Hi all,

Skiddy here running AutoCAD 2009 without a clue!

I should start be explaining I have no need for in depth use of AutoCAD, in fact all I ever need to do is add the odd layer and paste on some symbols to represent a fire alarm design for a building.

So far (over the weekend) I have managed to learn to copy and paste and also to scale.

The following procedures are still beyond me, so any help with them would be much appreciated-

Whenever I paste a symbol it always seems to default to the layer from where I copied it and does not go to the active layer, or layer of choice. Please could someone explain how to paste to a specific layer?

It would be a great help to replace the drawing title block with my own. Any help appreciated?

Finally the view on my monitor shows about 2/3 of the screen as drawing and 1/3 as part of the title block on the right. How do I maximise the screen to show drawing only and not the title block?

Sorry if these questions seem basic, however everyone has to start somewhere.........

I am sure there will be other little bits however if someone could point me in the right direction for the above I would be very grateful.

Thanks

Skiddy

Whenever I paste a symbol it always seems to default to the layer from where I copied it and does not go to the active layer, or layer of choice. Please could someone explain how to paste to a specific layer?

Skiddy

Are your symbols coming from a tool palette initially? The blocks you're pasting may have a properties setting to snap in on a particular layer.

OMG There is so much more to this! Thanks for prompt reply.

Not sure if the symbols are linked to a layer, how do I find out? If they are can this be edited?

Regards

Skiddy

Skiddy said, "Whenever I paste a symbol it always seems to default to the layer from where I copied it and does not go to the active layer, or layer of choice. Please could someone explain how to paste to a specific layer?"

Click on or use a window to select the object you wish to move to the correct layer. Then go up to the layer drop down menu in the upper left hand side of your screen and select the layer you want the object to be on. To double check select the object again to see if it moved to the correct layer.

As for you second question, is your title block in paper space (on one of the Layout tabs) or in model space? I always put my title block on the Layout tab and use a Viewport to fit my drawing inside my title block. You will want to right click on the Layout tab and select Page Setup Manager to set up your paper size so the layout will properly represent the paper size you will be plotting to.

Hope this helps.

Dawn

OMG There is so much more to this! Thanks for prompt reply.

Not sure if the symbols are linked to a layer, how do I find out? If they are can this be edited?

Regards

Skiddy

I may have put the cart before the horse. Does your company use standard symbols? If so, do you know where they're stored?

Instead of copying and pasting, read the help file on BLOCKS. Your symbols can be stored in their own individual files. They should be made on layer 0. Then in your drawing use INSERT, click the [browse] button and navigate to the symbol file, click open. Then click okay and place your block. When you insert it it will be placed on your current layer. When you need another, either use the COPY command from within the drawing or insert it again, after the first time a block is brought in it can be selected from the drop down box in the dialog box.

You can also seperate part of your drawing out to create a block with the WBLOCK (Write Block) command. You can select your objects, convert them to a block, and save them in their own file by specifying the path and filename (click the [...] button to open a typical save dialog box). Again, make sure the objects are on layer 0 so they will take on the characteristics of your current layer when they're inserted.

If you've created a template to work off of, you can insert the blocks, delete them, and their definition will still be available from the insert drop down box. To remove them from this list, make sure every instance is deleted from the file, run PURGE, make sure the Confirm each item to be purged box is UNCHECKED and the Purge nexted items box is CHECKED, then click [Purge All]. Purge will remove any blocks, layers, linetypes, and styles that are not currently in use in the drawing. It trims file size, improves drawing performance, and sometimes takes care of annoying glitches.

Hope this helps :)

For better clarity use the Zoom command to maximize the area you are working in.

Zoom has several options: Extents, Window, Previous, All, Scale, Center, Object, In and finally Out. These can be accessed from the Home tab (on the Ribbon) on the Utilities panel (far right hand side).

Or.....................

Get used to using the center wheel on your mouse. You can zoom in and out using the wheel by rolling it. Note that if you pick using the left mouse button anywhere on your screen when you zoom it will be relative to the location of the pick you just made.

Pan with your mouse by holding the wheel in then moving the mouse in any direction. You should see the image of a small "hand" on your screen.

Finally, no matter what your level of use consider picking up a good after-market AutoCAD book and keep it nearby. This will be your "bible" for a while. Books by Omura or Finkelstein get high marks from everyone that has one.

Hey Skiddy,

I do the same thing for fire alarms..I absolutely recommend

http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-AutoCAD-2009-LT/dp/0470287047/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231785979&sr=1-1

Spend a few days with this..It's very easy to learn enough to make your drawings look like the work of a pro! the fire marshal will love ya and use your submittals as examples for everyone else...

We just went through updated guidelines ourselves and the above has been a fantastic resource (when combined with this place of course!)

Wow,

What a friendly/helpful bunch you are!

I am on my laptop at present, will be back on the CAD machine in the morning so will try out all the advice then and report back no doubt with further issues lol.

Thanks again

Skiddy

Thanks for all your help guys and girls!

I can now get what I like on the layer of my choice!

I am actually beginning to like AutoCAD which is something I could no have imagined last week!:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

I do have a plotter question however I will post under a different title.

Thanks again...........

Skiddy