Cancel auto delete autosave files

Hello!

When working options "Automatic save", autocad creating *.sv$ file.

But if I closed autocad without error this files automatic will be deleted.

Exist way what autocad do not deleted automatic *.sv$ files?

May we ask why you want to save .sv$ files?

Do you have AutoCAD set up to create .bak files?

Do you regularly make backups of all your .dwg files?

What is AUTOSAVE set to?

Edited by ReMark

>May we ask why you want to save .sv$ files?

Exist much case. For example: if I closed file without save (it happen not usual, but it happend), using *.sv$ file I can recover version of file which autosaving several minute ago.

>Do you have AutoCAD set up to create .bak files?

Yes, I have. But logic creating *.bak and *.sv$ not same.

>Do you regularly make backups of all your .dwg files?

I make backup each or two week, but not each day or half-day.

>What is AUTOSAVE set to?

Options>Open and save> Automatic save - 30 minutes.

I find this little trick

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?21642-Autosave-SV-Files

If you are closing files without saving them that is a matter of discipline. It should not take more than one or two instances, at most, of doing something as dumb as this to learn your lesson. Learn from your mistakes and don't do it. It's as simple as that.

Agreed, the logic of behind creating a .bak and .sv$ is not the same. But the creation of a .sv$ file was never meant to be a substitute for good cad practices. Once again you are demonstrating that you personally do not want to take responsibility for your actions. Instead, you want AutoCAD to make up for your lack of discipline.

We back up all files once a week however there are some large on-going projects we back up on a daily basis and we do it to two different locations (network and flash drive). It's called "insurance".

You could set AUTOSAVE to every 5 minutes but 30 seems reasonable enough. It depends on how much work you can afford to lose in the event of something unexpected happening, like a sudden power outage, and still not be set back an entire day. Ever hear the term "risk assessment"?

Yes, maybe need more discipline. But people are different, and some people have problems with discipline and this problem can not be solved.

For example at the end of the working day, when the state of a bit nervous and tired, I want to program to do the discipline as much as possible.

Then at work there are old people who have little knowledge of AutoCAD and who have reduced attention. They also need a safety net.

Backup is an additional and convenient work only for large projects. It is not convenient for small but important projects for 2-3 days. Because you will spend more time on the backup, you do the project.

Due to the power failure information loss does not happen, because we use the APC. Loss of data occurs because the users themselves or fatal errors AutoCAD.

I worked for several years with AutoCAD without using bak and sv$ and not lost information.

And the question I asked in order to improve my skills and to help people with low discipline.

Re: automatic .sv$ files.

"Automatic saves are only done if a drawing has been modified after the last save. QSAVE, SAVE, and SAVEAS will delete the current .sv$ file and halt the automatic save timer until an edit is made to the drawing."

Re: fatal errors.

"If AutoCAD crashes or is otherwise abnormally terminated during a session, you can recover data saved in .sv$ files..." This means a .sv$ file is created when there is a fatal error or you lose power because a squirrel commits suicide or a vehicle crashes into a utility pole that feeds power to your offices.

Re: users themselves. Users can be trained and new habits formed. And don't give me that line about "old people who have little knowledge of AutoCAD." If they are too old to learn then its time for them to hit the road.

Maybe you can post in the Lisp forum and ask if someone can write a lisp routine that will automatically copy .sv$ files to a folder where AutoCAD can't delete them. But you better give some thought to the number of possible .sv$ files that can be created in a day by everyone who is using AutoCAD in your office.

Re: small projects take too much time to backup. Really? How many drawings constitute a small project? What would be the total file size? I can't imagine it would take very long to copy to another network drive or a flash drive. A few minutes at most?

Hello!

When working options "Automatic save", autocad creating *.sv$ file.

But if I closed autocad without error this files automatic will be deleted.

Exist way what autocad do not deleted automatic *.sv$ files?

Of course they are deleted.

If you SAVE your drawing, then the SAVE is newer than the Autosave file.

If you DO NOT SAVE your drawing, then you don't care about the changes, so you don't need the Autosave file.

But if you still want to do what you are asking, it's easy.

Just set up a folder for your autosave files that has WRITE access, but that does not have DELETE access.

More details here.

Assuming engmech follows through on this there will be a number of questions that will have to be answered. Such as......

What will the autosave interval be set to?

Number of cad techs?

Number of autosaves per cad tech per day?

Average file size of an autosave?

Multiple all three above then take that number and multiple it by the number of work days per week.

Then take that number and multiple it by four weeks per month. What is the estimated size of all autosave files collected in a month?

Be prepared to tell IT why this is all necessary.

How will it all be manage?

Who sets up the folders (you, each cad tech or IT)?

How long will the autosave files be kept?

Will each cad tech have their own folder for autosaves?

Who will be responsible for deleting the contents of the folder(s) when the autosave files are deemed to be no longer of any value and who makes that determination?

Since you, engmech, have been the one to bring this up I'm guessing you will take on the responsibility? Just one more task to add to your list of duties. Do you have the time?

Pretty difficult to estimate. If the timer never hits because the user is "qsaving" a lot, then no autosave files will ever get written.

Or you may have a user that never saves and relies on autosave and sets it to 1, but even then only two files are written (the .sv$ and the .bak) for each DWG worked on.

Even so....

50 techs making 50 autosaves a day, 5MB each for 20 days a month = 0.25TB, or 3TB / year.... pocket change in terms of storage costs.

I've already proven above why you do not need .sv$ files that are normally deleted, but who are we to tell other people how to work and how to spend their money?

Cheers all

Only two files at the most? Then what's the use? I imagine the OP is thinking there would be a new .sv$ file created every "x" minutes depending on the savetime variable however I could be wrong.

I can't think of one good reason to save .sv$ files...ever. Costs for storage will be somewhat dependent on where in the world one lives/works won't they?

Rumor is AutoCAD2020 is going to have a Dunce button that will fix any mistake we can possibly make. Eternal autosaves will automatically be stored on the cloud.

Only two files at the most? Then what's the use? I imagine the OP is thinking there would be a new .sv$ file created every "x" minutes depending on the savetime variable however I could be wrong.

If OP want's this, then he/she just needs a routine that runs the SAVE command every X minutes, and which applies a timestamp name to the files.

Now that would be huge, fast.

Eternal autosaves will automatically be stored on the cloud.

Sounds like sci-fi? I know of a system that does just that. Not for autosaves, but this system takes snapshots every X minutes, and collectively stores everything you have ever done for eternity, or at least until you stop paying them :-)

I can literally go into this system and restore a file from any point since they installed the system (4+ years ago), in ±15 minute increments.

Just (make someone) write an script that runs in the background of the O/S that copies the .sv$ files in the TEMP folder to an other location every few minutes.

Just make an batch file with some copy commands and find a free tool that executes that file at given intervals. Shouldn't be that hard.

And if you want it even better, Share your temp folder on the local network and let the company server get those sv$ files from a distance to minimize impact on the local system.