Can't work with existing dwg

tainbo

Hi!

Sorry if this is a really dumb or basic question. New (again) to AutoCAD -haven't used since 2006 so I am very rusty. Problem here is something I am sure is pretty simple to fix but I can't figure this out.

I have two dwg's from both the architect and the designer. When I open either of the files I get a Proxy Information alert about an unavailable ObjectARX application. Then it alerts me that one or more reference files could not be located or read. If I try to open the External References palette, I get unreconciled new layers. When I am finally in the dwg, I can't access the lines to modify any of them. The only accessible layer seems to be the architect's and the designer's masthead layers. All other layers seem to be locked but I have tried doing everything from auditing and purging, I made sure Layer 0 was not frozen or locked, I have unlocked and thawed every layer but nothing allows me access to either drawings layers other than their mastheads.

What simple thing am I missing to access the other layers in these files?

Thanks for any input!!! My boss wants some changes made to these drawings for Monday to submit back to the architect and I'm not a designer anymore and my autocad knowledge is pretty bad now :(

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tainbo

• rkent

• halam

• ReMark

Top Posters In This Topic

What version of AutoCad do you use? Ask the other party to supply etransmit to the same version..

You can use Trueview (free viewer) to convert dwg down. Install object enablers.

Hope you can follow a bit ...

Do you know what programs the two drawings were created in?

So you first tried opening each drawing then you next tried bringing them into your drawing as xrefs?

Your boss didn't request that you change the architect's or designer's drawings did he?

Are you trying to edit these files as an xref or are you opening the actual drawings? You mentioned the xref manager so I was not clear on your process.

What version of AutoCad do you use? Ask the other party to supply etransmit to the same version..

You can use Trueview (free viewer) to convert dwg down. Install object enablers.

Hope you can follow a bit ...

I'm using 2018 version. It does let me know that there is a version conflict when I try to save a copy. I will download trueview and try converting down first.

Thank you!

Are you trying to edit these files as an xref or are you opening the actual drawings? You mentioned the xref manager so I was not clear on your process.

OsjwYNT.png

So you first tried opening each drawing then you next tried bringing them into your drawing as xrefs?

Your boss didn't request that you change the architect's or designer's drawings did he?

I know both were created in earlier versions of AutoCAD but not sure which one.

I am just trying to open the drawings and I eventually can get into it but I receive these Proxy Information and Xref alerts when I do and then I can't access any lines to modify.

Background: What I basically need to do is make a small modification to the kitchen plan of our new offices. We requested this change five times with the designer and she keeps changing the design to random layouts and it's never what we asked for. It takes her over a week to make a minor change and she sends it back with alterations all over the floor plan and it's costing us a fortune. It's a small change from the architect's original drawings and if I can just make these adjustments to the counters and millwork, we can resubmit to the architect and get the city approval for permits. It's such a minor change and I just need to go in and change the one layer in the two drawings but I can't get to them. I was an interior designer a million years ago and have *some* AutoCAD experience so now I'm in charge of sorting it out :o If I can't access the drawings to make the changes we're just going to have the architect do it, but my boss would rather just send him the completed drawings with our changes and not return another set with more notes yet again. It's holding up our entire move schedule.

You came here looking for help and it would be nice if you answered some of the other questions as they may have a bearing on the situation.

You came here looking for help and it would be nice if you answered some of the other questions as they may have a bearing on the situation.

I did and they don't seem to be posting. I responded to every single post, thanks.

This is the third attempt at a reply.... I keep sending replies and nothing posts :/

The drawings were created in earlier versions of AutoCAD, not sure but it tells me this when I attempt to make a copy.

I am just trying to open the drawings and I eventually can after two alerts, but I cannot modify the layers.

Background: We gave these drawing to a designer to make some minor alterations to our new office plans, she repeatedly sent back incorrect changes (moving office walls, adding elements we didn't ask for etc.) This was just costing too much in money and time. We have a budget and a schedule for our move and she was eating through it like crazy. The changes we asked for were very minor and as a former interior designer I was asked to make some changes to the kitchen millwork and counters - nothing big. I remember enough about AutoCAD to trim some lines right? Apparently not. Hope this explains it a bit better. Sorry, my replies keep disappearing if they are not quick reply it seems.

Starting with really basic stuff, are you going to the Model space to try working? I opened your drawing and I can modify everything I have tried so far. You can ignore the other warnings since they didn't send you the xref files. There could be information missing since this was possibly done in a vertical product and not exported to regular autocad.

I have moved your thread to the AutoCAD Drawing Management & Output Forum.

For the message in post #7, you are missing some xrefs, find them and attach them or just ignore, then detach if not needed.

For the proxy objects, you will need the program that created them, maybe it was an AutoCAD vertical product, or the appropriate Object Enabler if there is one.

Success!! I had the architect resend the file and I used Trueview and now it all seems to be fine. Not sure if anything changed from what he sent me before but it seems to be working fine with the new file (maybe I saved them weird) but it's all working now!

Thank you EVERYONE for all the help! You guys are lifesavers :D

Be careful. If you are sending back to the architect, and if the Architect has not already updated to version 2018, he/she will not be able to open a 2018 file format. When time comes to save your drawing there is an option to save DOWN to 2013 file format. That should be sufficiently old, since the 2013 file format was used right up until 3/22/2017, which was the day before yesterday.:shock: