Revit and civil 3d

sandiegophil

Hello,

I have about 28 years of autocad experience, the last 10 being almost exclusively civil 3d. I am interested in adding revit to my skill set. Does anyone have a recommendation for tutorials? I know it took s bit of time to tackle c3d and I'm wondering what it will take to really get a handle on revit. Also, is anyone under the impression that revit will eventually 'absorb' c3d.

Any and all input, personal experience and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Phil

Autocad and Revit mix like water and oil. One does not 'absorb' each other. From Autodesk developent point of view you should be looking at mixing Infraworks also. That is the cocktail for bridge design i think.

As a Revit user in the AEC industry with very limited civil knowledge, I personally do not see where Revit will in any way merge into the civil scene. Revit is for vertical work and while there are 3rd party packages out there that are showing civil type tools, nobody has praised it as a real solution yet. I think learning Revit on a fundamental level may not hurt, but I'm not sure it's the program for the civil industry in future developments.

-TZ

We may agree on this TZ

and i for sure KNOW that Revit is way better at doing building designs that handeling 3d gis / cad civil stuff

But adsk is approaching this very differently, now and for the near future. Looks like it HAS to be Revit and dynamobim for bridgiing and tunnels as i see this.

Just check all recent infraworks developments.. Infraworks is targetted to replace c3d?

Ps i'm still in doubt if its a computer or a human as voice-over ;-)

Edited by halam

halam and tzframpton,

Thank you both for your responses, I have a better idea where I'm headed now. If you have any further input it would be appreciated. I am just looking at small scale footings, piles, decks, simple steel framing and some basic home architectural projects. I have been using vanilla autocad for most of it but was wondering if revit would be a benefit.

best regards,

phil

halam and tzframpton,

Thank you both for your responses, I have a better idea where I'm headed now. If you have any further input it would be appreciated. I am just looking at small scale footings, piles, decks, simple steel framing and some basic home architectural projects. I have been using vanilla autocad for most of it but was wondering if revit would be a benefit.

best regards,

phil

For the items you listed, yes, Revit would do good with these things. So maybe Revit would be of benefit after all.

-TZ