How can I make a pillow?

lilrose

Welcome to the forums 1318. Have you tried drawing in 3D?

Try reading at the 1st page of this forum. Is LOFT available in '07?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shift1313

• ReMark

• papagyi

• lilrose

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome to the forums 1318. Have you tried drawing in 3D?

Try reading at the 1st page of this forum. Is LOFT available in '07?

Thank you for your reply iskalipsi. Yes I sometimes make some 3D model. But I am just using autoCAD 2007 version. Still learn to get use to it. :oops:

Yes, Loft was first introduced in AutoCAD 2007.

@iskalipsi and fuccaro, okay I will try the LOFT command. Hope you don't mind if I have some question about "LOFT" command problems later. Thanks.

• 1 year later...

wow!!! the pillow you made is great!!!!!!!! ^_^ im new to autocad here and we are required to do it in our school..jbut im kinda having problems because our teacher isn't teaching us anything..:ouch:so..heheh..just wanna ask..can i fillet the sides of an object that has been lofted? and..uhm..how do you make a pillow? :?

Yes, you should be able to fillet an object that has been created with the LOFT command. It all depends though on the geometry you are working with. Post what you have and someone here will take a look at it.

hehe..just tried the one that lilrose posted ^_^ but i can't fillet the sides of the pillow..i don't know if the fillet radius i entered is too big or that part can't be fillet because it's kinda curvy..im just referring on autocadhelp in making my rooms so this forum will be very helpful..thank you ^_^

I have no need to draw pillows in my line of work so I can't answer your question. Post a copy of your drawing (as previously suggested) or just a DWG file of the pillow itself. One of the 3D experts here will tell you how to go about solving your problem.

...im kinda having problems because our teacher isn't teaching us anything...

Can you switch to a school where the teachers do teach you something?

(or switch to a different teacher)

Too many students blame the teacher. Having been in a classroom setting with other students (younger than I) one can't help but notice how many are paying more attention to their Blackberries, cell phones and iPods than what's going on up in the front of the room. Not all...just some of the students.

• 4 months later...

I just found this thread and it's been massively helpful. I'm trying to replicate this jpeg. I'm going to make a load of polylines and LOFT them into pillows but I'm wondering about the sheets/duvets. Can I loft into a planar object or do they have to be closed polylines? Would it look better if I used splines instead(if possible?)

BTW I will be importing this into Sketcup Up to Render as we have Vray for SU.

city-view.jpg

Bed Head Detail.dwg

If you have a suite that includes 3ds Max Design, you might consider modeling stuff like this there where you can apply a noise parameter.

Noise will create the random pillow effect for you. Then you can import the results into AutoCAD via FBX export from 3ds Max. It will come into AutoCAD as a mesh.

This is a simplification of the overall process but it should give you a starting point.

I used the loft command to make some reasonably realistic pillows and cushions. Only problem is I don't have access to 3D Studio Max. I'm using Sketchup with the VRay plugin. Its producing some quite good stuff but when I tried to bring my AutoCAD bed model in it wouldn't work. The bed and the bed head would import in if I removed the cushions. The total file size came up to 7meg with the 6 pillows but 640kb without them. I must be hitting the limits of SU.

My manager also just hassled me to do one of the bathrooms first so that's what I'm doing now.

That's been my experience as well when trying to import complex geometry from AutoCAD into SketchUp. It bails on the complex stuff and leaves gaps in the model that you have to manually patch up.

I've had better luck using bonzai3d. It's a solid modeler like AutoCAD and plays a lot better with it. Of course, that means you can't have access to the Vray rendering for SU, so it's probably not a viable workaround.

• 4 months later...